- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, or button mushrooms(3 ounces)
- 1cup Wild Rice
- 6tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1teaspoon butter
- 1 bunchscallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
MethodStir in mushrooms and wild rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until the rice has "blossomed" and is just tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
PER SERVING: 159cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 109 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (4 g fiber), 8 g pro.
- 25g butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500g pack wild & brown basmati rice
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1l vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large thyme sprig
- small pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g toasted flaked almond
- finely grated zest ½ orange
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the butter or oil in a flameproof casserole dish and gently cook the onion for 15 mins until just starting to turn golden. Add the rice and cranberries, and stir a few times until coated. Season well and pour over the stock.
- Float the bay leaves and thyme on top of the stock, and put a circle of baking parchment on top of that. Cover with a lid and put in the oven for 45 mins until the rice is tender. Stir through the parsley, almonds and orange zest. Serve hot, or leave to go cold and serve as a salad, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
- 200g basmati & wild rice
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved then cut into slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large oranges
- small pack coriander, chopped
- Cook the rice following pack instructions. Meanwhile, toss the fennel with olive oil and season. Cook the fennel in a griddle pan on a medium-high heat for 5 mins until softened.
- Juice 1⁄2 an orange. Peel the remaining oranges, slice them and cut each slice into quarters. Drain the rice, then stir through the orange juice, orange pieces, fennel and coriander.
- 314 - ounce canreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 14 1/2- ounce jar (drained weight)sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1tablespoon butter, melted
- 2teaspoons dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine broth, uncooked wild rice, carrot, mushrooms, melted butter, marjoram, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Turn off cooker. Stir in 2/3 cup green onions, the cherries, and the pecans. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with a slotted spoon. If desired, garnish with additional green onions.