- 314 - ounce canreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 14 1/2- ounce jar (drained weight)sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1tablespoon butter, melted
- 2teaspoons dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Chopped green onions (optional)
Recipe TipFor easy cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside. Tip: To toast nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden, shaking pan once or twice.
- 25g butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500g pack wild & brown basmati rice
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1l vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large thyme sprig
- small pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g toasted flaked almond
- finely grated zest ½ orange
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the butter or oil in a flameproof casserole dish and gently cook the onion for 15 mins until just starting to turn golden. Add the rice and cranberries, and stir a few times until coated. Season well and pour over the stock.
- Float the bay leaves and thyme on top of the stock, and put a circle of baking parchment on top of that. Cover with a lid and put in the oven for 45 mins until the rice is tender. Stir through the parsley, almonds and orange zest. Serve hot, or leave to go cold and serve as a salad, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
- 200g basmati & wild rice
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved then cut into slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large oranges
- small pack coriander, chopped
- Cook the rice following pack instructions. Meanwhile, toss the fennel with olive oil and season. Cook the fennel in a griddle pan on a medium-high heat for 5 mins until softened.
- Juice 1⁄2 an orange. Peel the remaining oranges, slice them and cut each slice into quarters. Drain the rice, then stir through the orange juice, orange pieces, fennel and coriander.
- 1/2 cup cooked short grain organic brown rice (this kind is stickier and kids like it more)
- 2 ounces soft organic tofu
- 5 florettes of steamed organic broccoli and some cooking liquid from steaming
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Salt to taste
- Soy sauce to taste
- Place 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice in container.
- Lay a slice of tofu next to the rice and season with a bit of salt.
- Place 5 broccoli flowers between the tofu and rice.
- Add 2 Tbs. broccoli steaming liquid, and drizzle tofu and broccoli with a little olive oil and soy sauce.