- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 slices Turkey bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 4 teaspoons bottled balsamic or Red Wine vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
MethodStir in beans.
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 large Red Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 3-4 inches in diameter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1pound spinach, tough stems removed
- 115 - ounce canWhite Beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego, gruyere or parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to very low, season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place milk in a small bowl and place breadcrumbs on a large plate. Dip each mushroom cap in milk, then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, gill-side down. Place a heavy, heatproof plate or pie pan on top of the mushrooms and cook until golden brown, pressing down on the plate periodically to flatten them, about 6 minutes. Carefully remove the plate using an oven mitt or tongs, add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and turn the mushrooms over. Replace the plate and cook, pressing the plate once or twice, until the mushrooms are golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans, broth and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cut each mushroom into thin slices and serve over the spinach. Top with the reserved onions and cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups dry great Northern beans
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch Pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups no-salt-added Chicken Stock
- 1 5 ounce package fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat Feta Cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup Pistachio Nuts, coarsely chopped
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Rinse beans; drain. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven combine beans and enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the soaked beans, carrots, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour stock over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If desired, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; set aside. Drain bean mixture; discard any remaining cooking liquid. Return bean mixture to the hot cooker. Stir in spinach, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer bean mixture to a serving platter. Top with avocado, cheese, and pistachios. If desired, drizzle with enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten. If desired, serve with lemon wedges. Makes 6 servings.
- 1 5 ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 Eggs
- 4 ounces Blue Cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- In a large serving bowl place spinach; set aside.
- In a very large skillet cook apple slices in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar and honey. Bring to just boiling. Add to spinach in serving bowl; toss to just combine and slightly wilt.
- In the same skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Break four eggs into skillet. Sprinkle with half of the blue cheese, 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until whites are set. For more doneness, cover the last 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining eggs and blue cheese. Place two eggs on each serving. Makes 4 servings.