- 2 large whole wheat pita bread rounds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh vegetables (such as small broccoli orcauliflower florets, red sweet pepper strips, sliced fresh mushrooms, and/or chopped carrot)
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (1 ounce)
MethodPlace pita bread rounds on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 6ounces lean ground beef or lamb
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 clovesgarlic, minced
- 18 - ounce cantomato sauce
- 1teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 whole wheat or white pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1 smalltomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 ounce)
- 12 pitted kalamata or ripe olives, quartered
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium nonstick skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned; drain off fat. Stir tomato sauce and rosemary into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Carefully split pita bread rounds in half horizontally; place pita halves, rough sides up, in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Top toasted pita bread with meat mixture; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. Top with spinach, tomato, feta cheese, and olives; serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
- 3 mediumred, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers
- 1 mediumonion, cut into very thin wedges and separated into strips
- Olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- 116 - ounce loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 largered or yellow tomato, chopped (1 cup)
- 1cup queso fresco or feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 2tablespoons snipped fresh basil or oregano
- Halve sweet peppers, removing stems, membranes, and seeds. Place peppers, cut sides down, on a baking sheet lined with foil. Lightly coat onion strips with nonstick cooking spray. Place onion strips around peppers. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Remove onions and set aside. Bake peppers for 10 to 15 minutes more or until skin is bubbly and browned. Wrap peppers in the foil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, gently pull off the skin. Cut peppers into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat two 12-inch pizza pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide bread dough in half. Pat half of the dough into an 11-inch circle in each pizza pan, building up edges slightly. Prick bottom of crust with a fork. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven; cool on wire racks.
- Lightly coat each crust with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Top with mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers, roasted onion, and tomato. Sprinkle with queso fresco or feta cheese.
- Bake about 7 minutes more or until cheese is melted and crusts are crisp. Sprinkle with basil or oregano. Makes 8 (1/4 of one pizza) servings.
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked chicken tenders
- 6 pita Breads (6 inch), split in half to make a total of 12 rounds
- 3/4 cup prepared Tomato Sauce OR: Pizza sauce
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat (50%-less-fat) mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Heat broiler.
- In a glass pie plate or small dish, combine the chopped garlic, olive oil and salt. Add chicken; turn to thoroughly coat the chicken. Arrange the chicken tenders in a single layer on a broiler-pan rack.
- Broil the chicken about 4 inches from the heat for 3 minutes. Turn chicken tenders over with with a set of tongs. Continue to broil until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken tenders from the broiler. Leave the broiler on.
- When chicken tenders are cool enough to handle, thinly slice them. Set aside.
- Arrange the pita rounds, rough side up, on baking sheets.
- Toast the pita rounds under the broiler until barely golden around edges, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Spread a generous 1 tablespoon tomato sauce over each pita. Top each pita with the sliced chicken tenders, dividing equally. Sprinkle each pita with 1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese and very generous tablespoon of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Broil the pizzas about 4 inches from the heat until the mozzarella cheese is just melted, about 1 minute. Let pizzas stand a few minutes before serving.