This rich, pink-hued hot drink is made from white chocolate and milk, topped with rainbow-dyed whipped double cream, sweets and sprinkles.
- 300ml whole milk
- 50g white chocolate, chopped
- pink food colouring gel
- 100ml double cream
- food colouring gel (optional)
- your choice of coloured sweets and/or hundreds and thousands
MethodThen, if you like, stain the inside of a disposable piping bag with different gel food colourings using a skewer to drag a tiny streak of colour from the bottom of the bag to the top.
- 6 inches stick cinnamon
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1 Vanilla Bean, split or 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups white baking Pieces
- Grated dark chocolate and/or White Chocolate (optional)
- Place the cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla bean, if using, on a square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring up corners of cheesecloth and tie with 100-percent-cotton string.
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker stir together the cream, milk, and baking pieces. Add spice bag. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring halfway through cooking time. Remove spice bag and stir in vanilla, if using. If desired, top servings with grated chocolate.
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet Chocolate Pieces
- 1 recipe Sweetened Whipped cream (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a large bowl combine milk, half-and-half, coffee powder, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the ground chipotle chile pepper. If desired, cover bowl and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Transfer mixture to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in chocolate pieces. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours, whisking vigorously once halfway through cooking time. Serve immediately or keep warm on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours.
- Before serving, whisk well. To serve, ladle beverage into heatproof mugs or cups. If desired, garnish each serving with whipped cream and/or sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup frozen Egg product, thawed
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped Topping or Whipped Milk Topping (see Recipe Center)
- To make a collar for a 1-quart souffle dish, cut a 24-inch length of foil. Fold lengthwise into thirds, making a 4-inch-wide strip. Spray one side of strips with nonstick coating. Place strip, coated side in, around the outside of the souffle dish so it extends about 2 inches above the rim. Pull tight and secure with tape at the point the foil overlaps.
- In a medium saucepan combine cocoa powder, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and cornstarch. Add evaporated skim milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir some of the cocoa mixture into the egg product. Then return all of the egg product mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat. Stir in rum or rum flavoring.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold a small amount of beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then fold chocolate mixture into remaining beaten egg whites. Turn mixture into prepared souffle dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove the collar; sift powdered sugar over top. Serve immediately with Whipped Topping or Whipped Milk Topping. Makes 6 servings.