Spanish sausage and sweet smoked paprika flavour this basmati one-pan storecupboard supper with olives and cherry tomatoes
- 250g pack small cooking chorizo sausages, halved lengthways
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 250g basmati rice
- 500ml hot chicken stock (or gluten-free alternative)
- 2 roasted peppers from a jar, chopped
- 395g can cherry tomato
- 85g pitted green or Kalamata olive
MethodAdd the sliced chorizo halves, cut-side down, and cook until the oil starts to come out and they begin to crisp at the edges.
- 3 medium to large potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 4 wholemeal tortillas
- 6 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- ½ an onion, thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices chorizo from a pack, diced
- 25g mature cheddar, grated
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic dressing
- ½ a 50g bag rocket
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then blanch the potato slices for 2 mins until almost cooked. Drain well, then tip onto kitchen paper to dry.
- Put the tortillas onto baking sheets. Season the crème fraîche, then spread over the tortillas. Top with the potato slices, onion and chorizo, then scatter over the grated cheese.
- Bake for 8 mins until crisp and golden. Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes with the dressing and ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper, then toss through the rocket. Pile a quarter of the salad in the middle of each tortilla and serve.
- 400g cherry tomato
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves (or 1½ tsp dried), plus a few extra
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g easy-cook long grain rice
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- 2 avocados, sliced
- about 3 small bunches mixed soft herbs (we used chives, parsley and mint)
- 1 baby cos lettuce, shredded
- juice 1 lemon
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Spread the tomatoes on a baking tray and roast for 15 mins, then remove. Heat grill to High.
- Meanwhile, soften the onion and oregano in the oil, stir in the rice and stock, and boil for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked.
- Mix the avocados, herbs, shredded lettuce and lemon juice.
- Stir most of the cheese and tomatoes into the rice, tip into an ovenproof dish, scatter remaining cheese and tomatoes on top with some more oregano and flash under the grill to brown. Spoon onto plates with the salad served on the side.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 small red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 50g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 250g long grain rice
- 200g raw peeled prawn, defrosted if frozen
- 100g frozen pea
- zest and juice 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- Boil the kettle. Heat the oil in a shallow pan with a lid, add the onion, peppers, chorizo, garlic and chilli, then fry over a high heat for 3 mins. Add the turmeric and rice, stirring to ensure the rice is coated. Pour in 500ml boiling water, cover, then cook for 12 mins.
- Uncover, then stir – the rice should be almost tender. Stir in the prawns and peas, with a splash more water if the rice is looking dry, then cook for 1 min more until the prawns are just pink and the rice tender. Stir in the lemon zest and juice with seasoning and serve with extra lemon wedges on the side.