Use up this plentiful legume in a robust pasta dish with anchovy and olive tapenade sauce, tomatoes, basil and chilli
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 290g jar black kalamata olive in brine, drained
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 300g penne
- 500g runner bean, sides peeled if stringy, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- 250g cherry tomato, halved
- handful basil leaves
MethodRub the chicken with a drizzle of oil, season and roast for 20 mins until cooked through.
- 4ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 115 - ounce cancannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 2tablespoons oil-cured Black Olives,(see tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced Fresh Basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil and pepper. Stir gently to combine. Divide the pasta between 2 plates and top with the bean mixture and cheese.
- Tip:Tips for Two: Small amounts of olives can be purchased from bulk bins and salad bars.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces dried whole wheat linguine, fettuccine, or rigatoni
- 1/3 cup chopped tomato (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon crumbled Feta Cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion, garlic, cumin, and crushed red pepper in hot oil about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the 2 cups chopped tomatoes, half of the garbanzo beans, the salt, and black pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until mixture is boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return all to saucepan. Stir in the remaining garbanzo beans. Cook and stir over low heat until sauce is heated through.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. To serve, toss cooked pasta with sauce. Divide mixture between two serving plates. Top with the 1/3 cup chopped tomato and the feta cheese. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. If desired, garnish with rosemary sprigs.
- 6 10 inches flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese blend (2 ozs.)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or oregano
- Cooking oil for frying
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- Purchased guacaMole (optional)
- Bottled salsa (optional)
- Dairy Sour Cream (optional)
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in the 1 teaspoon hot oil until tender. Stir in chicken, black beans, 1/2 cup bottled salsa, the cheese, and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- For each flauta, spoon about 1/2 cup filling across each warm tortilla about 1-1/2 inches from one edge. Roll up tortillas as tightly as possible. Secure with wooden toothpicks.
- In a very large, deep skillet, heat 1-1/2 inches of cooking oil to 365 degrees F. Fry flautas, two at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep fried flautas warm in a 300 degrees F oven while frying remaining flautas.
- To serve, remove toothpicks. Halve flautas crosswise. If desired, serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.