Pack 4 of your 5-a-day into your lunchbox with this healthy black bean, egg and prawn salad with a sweet chilli and lime dressing
- 1 large egg
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- thumb-sized piece cucumber, diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- 150g pack cooked prawns
- handful of watercress
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
MethodAdd the egg and cook for 8 mins. Drain, then run under cold water to cool.
- 2 Baby Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 1 avocado, stoned and sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 rashers cooked crispy bacon
- 140g/5oz cooked turkey breast or chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped into chunks
- 75ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together with some salt. Arrange the salad ingredients separately on 2 plates or a platter, and serve with the dressing on the side.
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cooked chicken breast and 1 cooked chicken leg, skinned and shredded
- 75g blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- crusty bread (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp clear honey
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Fry the bacon until crisp and cooked through, then very roughly chop.
- To make the dressing, mix the olive oil, vinegar, mustard and honey with 1 tbsp water and some seasoning. Save 2 tbsp in the fridge for another salad (see 'Goes well with'). Stir the spring onions into the rest of the dressing.
- Use the chopped lettuce and celery as a base, then arrange the bacon, chicken, blue cheese and hard-boiled eggs on top and drizzle over the dressing. Serve with bread, if you like.
- 1pound assorted fresh beets without tops (4 medium)
- 8cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups red, yellow, and/or green pear or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 2 slicesturkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled light Italian salad dressing or desired light salad dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub beets. Trim off stem and root ends from beets. Wrap each beet in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until you can easily pierce the beets with a knife. Cool about 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut beets into 1-inch pieces.
- On a large platter, arrange lettuce, tomatoes, eggs, avocado, bacon, blue cheese, and beets. Drizzle with salad dressing. Makes 6 (about 2-1/2 cup) servings.