Prep 15 m; Ready In 15 m;
"This is a great summer salad that utilizes fresh romaine, onions, strawberries, and a sweet poppy seed dressing."
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size Pieces
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mandarin Oranges
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Tear romaine lettuce into bite-size pieces. Slice strawberries and onion. Toss with lettuce in a large bowl.
- Heat broiler. Spread the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes (watch closely, they brown quickly). Add to lettuce mixture.
- Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, milk and vinegar together in a small bowl. Add to salad and toss just before serving.
- 2 - 3 ears fresh sweet corn
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or Red Wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon snipped garlic chives*
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup grape and/or pear tomatoes (red, yellow, and/or green), quartered
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled Ricotta Salata or Feta Cheese (1 ounce)
- Place corn with husks and silks intact in a large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for garlic-chive vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the vinegar, mustard, and garlic chives. Cover and shake well; set aside.
- Brush the romaine with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside. For a charcoal grill, grill corn on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 25 to 30 minutes or until kernels are tender, turning once and rearranging ears occasionally. Grill romaine, cut sides down, directly over medium coals for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly charred and wilted. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place corn on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above; remove corn. Place romaine on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Place a romaine heart half on each of 4 salad plates. Remove corn husks and silks from ears. Cut kernels from cobs. In a medium bowl combine corn kernels and tomatoes. Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Drizzle romaine with the remaining vinaigrette. Spoon the corn and tomato mixture over romaine halves. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese.
- 1 12 ounce jar piquillo peppers or roasted red Sweet Peppers, drained (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce (about 1 1/4 pounds), quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- For dressing, combine peppers, sour cream, and lemon juice in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve or up to 1 week.
- Place lettuce quarters on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 1 to 3 minutes or until charred and slightly wilted, turning occasionally. Drizzle dressing over grilled romaine and top with capers.