Kids will love these sweet carrots, and they can be prepared in one pot for extra ease too
MethodToss the carrots in a baking tray with the oil. Roast for 40 mins, stirring in the honey halfway through cooking, and sprinkling over the seeds for the final 10 mins.
- 800g Chantenay carrot, whiskery roots trimmed
- 85g salted butter, diced
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 300g fresh shelled pea (or use frozen)
- few mint leaves (optional)
- Place the carrots in a medium-size saucepan with 125ml water, 50g butter, 1 tsp sugar and ½ tsp sea salt. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover, then cook over a low heat for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat up, then cook, uncovered, for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally until all the liquid evaporates and they are glossy and coated,.
- Towards the end of this time, place the peas in a medium-size saucepan with remaining butter and sugar, ½ tsp salt and 50ml water. Bring this to a simmer over a high heat, then cook for several mins, stirring or tossing the peas frequently until they are tender and have turned a beautiful luscious green. Drain and combine these in a serving dish with the carrots. Tuck in a few mint leaves, if you like.
- Peel and cut the carrots into batons. (You can do this up to 24 hours ahead and keep them in a polythene bag in the fridge.) Tip them into a pan, pour in enough boiling water just to cover, bring back to the boil, then put a lid on the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until the carrots are just tender.
- Meanwhile, put the butter and maple syrup in a small pan. Heat until the butter is melted then stir in the mustard. Take off the heat. Drain the carrots and tip into a warmed serving dish.
- Pour the warm maple glaze over the carrots. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit.
- 1kg parsnip, cut into long pointy batons
- 3 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 85g pecan halves, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. On a large baking tray, toss the parsnips with the oil and plenty of seasoning. Cook on a low shelf in the oven for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with maple syrup, scatter over the pecans and toss everything together. Cook for a further 5-10 mins until the parsnips start to caramelise and crisp up at the ends.