Spoon this vibrant and tangy lemon, orange and honey sauce over pan-fried chicken for a no-fuss, flavour-packed dinner for two
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 banana shallot, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ x 500g tub fresh chicken stock
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- juice and zest 1 orange
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- cooked spring greens, to serve
- steamed rice, to serve
MethodDip each one in the flour to coat on both sides. Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the chicken for 2 mins each side until golden. Remove and set aside.
- 4 chicken breast fillets with skin, about 150g/5oz each
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or a generous sprinkling of dried
- 1½ tbsp clear honey
- Preheat the grill to high and lightly oil a shallow heatproof dish. Put the chicken in the dish, skin side down, and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 5 minutes. While the chicken is grilling, cut four thin slices from the lemon.
- Turn the chicken fillets over and put a slice of lemon on top of each one. Sprinkle over the thyme and a little more seasoning, then drizzle with the honey. Squeeze over the juice from the remaining lemon and spoon round 2 tbsp water. Return to the grill for 10 minutes more, until the chicken is golden and cooked all the way through. Serve the chicken and the sticky juices with rice or potatoes and a green veg – broccoli or leeks are good.
- 4 medium oranges
- 6 tbsp golden syrup, plus extra to serve, optional
- 200g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almond
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Finely grate the zest from 2 oranges into a large bowl. Cut the peel and pith from all the oranges with a serrated knife, and slice quite thickly.
- Drizzle the golden syrup evenly over the base of a greased 23cm round cake tin. There is no need to line the tin and it shouldn’t have a loose bottom otherwise the syrup will bubble through. Arrange the best orange slices on top of the syrup and finely chop any that don’t fit.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in the bowl with the zest and chopped orange. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Spoon on top of the oranges, spread lightly and make a deep hollow in the centre of the mix with the back of a spoon – this will ensure that the cake rises evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until firm when pressed. Allow to settle for 5 mins before turning out. Drizzle with golden syrup if you like, and serve with custard or ice cream.
- 4 part-boned chicken breasts, skin on
- grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- new potato and green salad, to serve
- Preheat the oven to fan 170C/conventional 190C/gas 5. Put the chicken breasts, skin-side up, in one layer in a shallow ovenproof dish or tin. Put all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and warm through in the microwave or a small pan for 1 minute, then stir to mix everything together and pour over the chicken.
- Slide the dish into the oven and roast the chicken for 30-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes or so. The juices will gradually thicken and give the chicken a shiny coating at the end. Leave the chicken to stand for 5 minutes before serving with new potatoes and a green salad.