Perfectly fluffy white rice is a staple side dish for many Asian meals - here's how to get it right every time
- 140g short or medium grain rice
MethodSwish the rice around until the water becomes cloudy, then slowly pour it out, using your hand to keep the rice from falling out of the pan. Repeat 2 or 3 more times until the water runs mostly clear, then drain well.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 140g/5oz each)
- 1 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- small knob of fresh root ginger, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 175g basmati rice
- 250g pack prepared veg, broccoli, carrotts and green beans
- 425ml vegetable stock
- Cut the chicken into chunks and mix with the soy, then set aside. Heat the oil in a pan with a well-fitting lid, then add the ginger and onions and fry briefly. Stir in the rice. Add the veg, pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 5 mins, then put the chicken on top of the rice and pour over the soy.
- Re-cover the pan and cook for a further 12-14 mins until everything is tender.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 375g/13oz), peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 250g basmati & wild rice
- 140g dried cranberries
- 200g pomegranate seeds
- 100g blanched hazelnuts, toasted and halved
- small pack dill, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- small pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 200g feta, to serve
- zest and juice 1 large unwaxed orange
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 4-5 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Put the squash on the baking tray, drizzle over the olive oil, scatter on the cumin seeds and season generously – use your hands to ensure each piece is evenly coated with oil and seasoning. Roast for 30-35 mins until the edges are caramelised, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook the rice for 20-25 mins or according to pack instructions, then strain and rinse well with cold water until all the starch is washed off and the rice is cold. Allow to drain well.
- Put the cranberries, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, herbs, onion and rice in a large bowl and mix well. Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl with a generous amount of seasoning to taste. Once the squash is completely cool, gently mix it into the bowl of other ingredients. Pour over the dressing, mix well and serve on a large platter with the feta crumbled over the top.
- 600g jasmine rice
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- Put the rice in a large pan and cover with cold water. Swoosh the rice in the water, then drain the water away. Repeat until the water runs clear. Add the pandan leaves to the rice, season with a little salt, then add enough cold water to come a fingertip depth above the surface of the rice. Bring the pan to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 mins or until most of the water has been absorbed and the surface of the rice looks pitted. Turn off the heat, cover and leave undisturbed for 30 mins.