Prep 10 m; Cook 10 m; Ready In 20 m;
"A perfect summer salad with ripe peaches, baby spinach, and roasted pecans"
MethodArrange pecans on a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, until they just begin to darken.Remove from oven and set aside.
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon snipped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2cups baby arugula
- 1 mediumpeach, peeled (if desired) and sliced
- 1/2 cup canned no-salt-added cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (1 oz.)
- Black pepper (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring broth to boiling. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain and cool. In a medium bowl combine the next four ingredients (through salt). Stir in half of the wild rice (reserve remaining rice for another use). Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Add the next four ingredients (through cheese) to rice mixture; toss gently to combine. If desired, sprinkle with pepper and additional mint and serve with lime wedges.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (1 Tbsp.)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, quartered
- 1/2 cup peeled jicama, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 10 ounce package prewashed spinach, torn (about 12 cups)
- 1/2 cup red sweet pepper cut into matchstick-size strips
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, oil, jalapeno pepper, and garlic. Cover; shake well. In a bowl, combine dates, jicama, and half of the dressing; toss to coat.
- Divide the spinach evenly among six salad plates. Arrange date mixture on spinach. Top with red pepper strips. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pass the remaining dressing. Makes 6 servings.
- 2 apples
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach or mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 of a celery root, peeled, and very thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- Core and chop one of the apples. In a large skillet cook chopped apple in 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Transfer to a blender. Add vinegar, maple syrup, sage, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and blend until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add the remaining olive oil, blending until emulsified (smooth and thickened).
- Core and slice remaining apple. In a large bowl combine the spinach, sliced apple, hazelnuts, and celery root. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve immediately.