Prep 15 m; Cook 5 m; Ready In 20 m;
"This is a wonderful way to add elegance and flavor to spinach. The warm goat cheese melts in your mouth and nicely accents the balsamic vinegar."
- 8 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 4 slices wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 110 ounce log herbed goat cheese
- 26 ounce bags spring greens salad mix
- Heat oven to 375 degrees . Pulse one slice bread in food processor until fine crumbs are formed. Stir in wheat germ. Transfer to a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan (push crumbs to one side).
- Cut remaining 3 slices of bread into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to pan with bread crumbs. Place the walnuts on a second smaller baking sheet.
- Spray bread pieces and crumbs with nonstick cooking spray. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Transfer both baking pans to 375 degrees oven and bake for 10 minutes or until crumbs and nuts are lightly browned, stirring halfway through. Remove pans from oven; increase oven temperature to 400 degrees .
- In small bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard and sugar. While whisking, add olive oil in a thin stream.
- Cut goat cheese log into 6 equal pieces. Place one goat cheese slice on a paper towel; fold towel over slice. Gently press down to form a disc approximately 2-1/2 inches in diameter. Repeat.
- Coat slices with nonstick cooking spray. Dip in crumb mixture. Transfer coated cheese discs to baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes or until cheese discs are lightly browned.
- While the cheese is warming, toss together salad greens, dressing, walnuts and croutons. To serve: Divide salad evenly among 6 plates. Top each with 1 goat cheese disc.
- 3 - 4 fresh small goat cheeses (crottins)
- 8 slices country white bread
- good Olive Oil
- Salad Greens for 4 Salads
- Green Salad vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut each goat cheese round horizontally into 2 or 3 half-inch slices. Place bread on a baking sheet, brush lightly with olive oil, and place a slice of goat cheese on each piece. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until bread is toasted and cheese is warm.
- Meanwhile, place salad greens in a large bowl and toss with enough Green Salad Vinaigrette to moisten. Divide the salad among 4 lunch plates. Place 2 slices of toasted bread on each salad, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve. Makes 4 salads.
- 2 apples
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach or mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 of a celery root, peeled, and very thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- Core and chop one of the apples. In a large skillet cook chopped apple in 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Transfer to a blender. Add vinegar, maple syrup, sage, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and blend until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add the remaining olive oil, blending until emulsified (smooth and thickened).
- Core and slice remaining apple. In a large bowl combine the spinach, sliced apple, hazelnuts, and celery root. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve immediately.