Give your favourite meatballs a healthy makeover with this low fat, low calorie, low GI recipe with turkey mince, black beans and avocado
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, quartered, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 tsp chipotle chilli paste
- 300ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 400g can black beans or red kidney beans, drained
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
- juice ½ lime
- 500g pack turkey breast mince
- 50g porridge oats
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- small bunch coriander, chopped, stalks and leaves kept separate
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
MethodTip the mince into a bowl, add the oats, spring onions, spices and the coriander stalks, then lightly knead the ingredients together until well mixed. Shape into 12 ping-pong- sized balls. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the meatballs and cook, turning them frequently, until golden. Remove from the pan.
- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp coarsley chopped salted black beans
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2 red, yellow and green peppers, all seeded and cut into 2½ cm/1in squares
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chilli bean sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Heat a wok over a high heat until hot, then add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, black beans, garlic and ginger, and stir fry for 1 minute. Then tip in the peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the wine or sherry, chilli bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and stock or water, and continue to cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the sesame oil, give the mixture several turns to mix well, turn out on a serving plate and leave to cool. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Serve at room temperature.
- 500g pork mince
- 2 large handfuls fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 medium red onions, ¼ finely chopped, the rest sliced
- small bunch coriander leaves and stems, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400ml passata
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- potatoes or rice, to serve
- In a small bowl, mix together the pork, breadcrumbs, egg, finely chopped onions and the chopped coriander leaves. Season, mix well and shape into small meatballs. Over a medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the oil to a large frying pan and brown the meatballs on all sides, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, sliced onion, garlic, coriander stems and some salt. Cook for 5 mins, then add the passata and chipotle paste. Pour in 100ml water and stir well, then simmer for 10 mins before adding the meatballs and cooking for a further 5 mins. Serve with potatoes or rice and scatter with the extra coriander leaves.
- 400g pork fillet, cut into 4cm chunks
- 2 tbsp jerk or Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 3 limes, zest and juice 1, other 2 cut into wedges to serve
- ½ small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 4cm chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g basmati rice
- 400g can black bean, drained and rinsed
- Mix together the pork, jerk seasoning, allspice, chilli sauce, if using, lime zest and juice, and some seasoning. Thread the pork and pineapple onto metal skewers (or pre-soaked wooden skewers) and brush with the oil.
- Cook rice following pack instructions. Drain well, then put back in the saucepan with the beans, stir and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Cook the skewers for 3 mins on each side until nicely charred and the pork is cooked through. Serve skewers with the beans and rice, extra chilli sauce, if you like, and lime wedges for squeezing over.