This square Christmas cake is cut into two loaf-shaped cakes, so you can give one to a friend
- 8 glacé cherries
- small holly sprigs, washed and dried
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g butter, chopped
- 700g luxury mixed dried fruit
- 50g glacé cherry
- 2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- zest and juice 1 orange
- 100ml dark rum, brandy or orange juice
- 85g pecan
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 85g ground almonds
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250g pack marzipan, halved
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 tbsp warmed apricot jam
- 500g pack fondant icing sugar
MethodPour over the rum, brandy or juice, then put on the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently to melt the butter. Reduce the heat and bubble gently, uncovered for 10 mins, stirring every now and again to make sure the mixture doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan. Set aside for 30 mins to cool.
- 175g butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- finely grated zest 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 egg white
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 175g icing sugar
- fruit jellies and silver balls, to decorate
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line 18 holes of a 2 x 12-hole bun tins with paper cake cases. Melt butter and cool for 5 mins, tip into a large bowl with all the cake ingredients, then beat together for 1-2 mins until smooth.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cake cases, filling them three-quarters full (a heaped tablespoon is about right). Bake for 15-18 mins until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, put the egg white and orange juice into a heatproof bowl, sift in the icing sugar, then set over a pan of simmering water. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the icing for 7 mins until it is glossy and stands in soft peaks. Remove from the heat, then whisk for a further 2 mins until it is slightly cooled.
- Thinly slice the fruit jellies. Spoon the icing onto the cakes, swirling it with a knife, then decorate with slices of jelly fruits and a few silver balls. Leave to set. The cakes will keep for up to 3 days in the cake tin.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups fresh berries (such as raspberries, blueberries, and/or sliced strawberries)
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat six 6-ounce individual quiche dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk until light and frothy. Whisk in milk until combined. Add flour and baking powder; whisk until smooth.
- Divide berries among prepared quiche dishes. Pour batter over berries. (Batter will not cover berries completely.) Bake about 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm. If desired, sift powdered sugar over each serving.
- 1 10 3/4 ounce frozen loaf pound cake
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup semisweet Chocolate Pieces
- 1/2 16 ounce can Chocolate Frosting (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry liqueur or amaretto
- 18 fresh medium strawberries
- Cut cake into 1/2-inch-thick slices using a serrated knife. (You should have 12 slices.) Spread one side of half of the slices with strawberry jam. Top each jam-covered slice with a plain cake slice, making a sandwich. Cut each sandwich diagonally to form three triangles. You should end up with 18 mini sandwiches.
- For icing, cook and stir chocolate pieces over low heat until melted. Add frosting, stirring to combine. Stir in strawberry liqueur or amaretto. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until mixture is melted enough to coat cakes. Remove from heat.
- Insert a 2-or 3-prong long-handle fork into the side of the bottom slice of one cake. Holding the cake over the saucepan of icing, spoon on enough icing to cover the sides and top. Place the frosted cake on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining cakes, reheating icing, if necessary. Let stand for 30 minutes or until icing sets.
- Before serving, transfer cakes to a serving platter and place a strawberry on top of each serving. Makes 18 servings.