A slice of toasted bread makes for a satisfying supper when topped with fish, herby soured cream and sweet beetroot
- 1 large or 2 small cooked beetroot
- 25g soured cream
- juice and zest ½ lemon
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 slices toast
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet
- a little chopped dill
MethodIn a bowl, mix the beetroot, soured cream, juice and zest of lemon and shallot. Spoon onto toast. Flake mackerel fillet over and scatter with dill.
- 500g new potato, scrubbed and cut in half
- 300g runner bean, trimmed and sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- ½ bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 150g pack smoked trout, flaked
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a jar and shake well. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 mins until just tender, then drain. Cook the beans in boiling salted water for 10 mins until tender, then plunge into ice water and drain.
- Toss the warm potatoes and beans together with half the spring onions and parsley, and half the dressing. Spread over a platter, then scatter over the smoked trout. Scatter over the rest of the spring onions, drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve, or leave everyone to help themselves.
- 1 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium potato, such as Maris Piper or Desirée, cut into cubes
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large orange
- 100g bag watercress
- 2 peppered smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed
- Whisk together the Sherry or wine vinegar, mustard and oil with some seasoning. Boil the potatoes in salted water until easily pierced with a knife, about 10 mins. Toss in a bowl with threequarters of the dressing and onion slices, then leave to cool a little.
- Cut the peel and pith from the orange, then cut into thick slices. Toss the watercress into the salad, then divide between 2 plates and top with the oranges, fish and the remaining dressing.
- 200g couscous - use wholemeal if you can get it
- 3 oranges, 2 peeled and thinly sliced, 1 juiced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g bag watercress, roughly chopped
- 240g pack peppered mackerel fillets, flaked into large chunks
- Pour 250ml boiling water over couscous, cover and leave 10 mins, then fluff up with a fork. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Mix orange juice, vinegar, sugar and oil with some seasoning. Mix through the couscous with remaining ingredients.