Authentic pesto pasta straight from the shores of Sicily
- 300g linguine pasta
- 85g blanched almond, roughly chopped
- 25g caciocavallo or pecorino cheese, grated
- large handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small vine tomatoes, seeded and chopped
MethodBlend together the almonds, cheese, most of the basil and all of the olive oil in a food processor until they form a chunky paste. Drain pasta, then stir through pesto and tomatoes.
- 100g cooked chestnut
- handful each basil, parsley and mint, leaves only
- 50g Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- 500g dried pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g pack chestnut mushroom, quartered
- Put the chestnuts in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Throw in the herbs, Parmesan and garlic, then pulse again until chopped (not too finely). Pour in the rapeseed oil, mix together and season to taste.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water, according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms with some seasoning for 6-8 mins until tender and starting to brown. When the pasta is cooked, drain it, return to the pan, then stir through the pesto and the mushrooms. Serve with some extra Parmesan on top, if you like.
- 400g penne, farfalle or conchiglie pasta
- 250g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 large lemon
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Tip the pasta into a large pan of boiling salted water and cook according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, bring a smaller pan of salted water to the boil, add the broccoli and boil for 4 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and return it to the pan. Lightly mash the broccoli with a potato masher or fork. Finely grate the garlic and zest the lemon, then mix into the broccoli with the chilli flakes and pine nuts. Cut the lemon in half and keep for later.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Stir in the broccoli pesto and squeeze over the juice of 1⁄2 lemon. Pour in the olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Spoon in the grated Parmesan, toss the pasta well and serve.
- 400g pasta shapes
- 250g green bean, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 large ready-roasted chicken breasts, shredded
- 5 tbsp pesto
- 3 tbsp double cream
- handful Parmesan, grated, to serve
- Cook pasta following pack instructions, adding green beans for the final 6 mins of cooking time. Drain and reserve a few tbsps of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add spring onions and cook for 1-2 mins until soft, then set aside.
- Add the shredded chicken in the pan and heat through. Stir through pesto and cream. Pop pasta and beans in with the chicken mix and stir to coat, adding a little of the cooking water. Season and sprinkle with Parmesan.