Combine crisp, purple sprouting broccoli with chestnut mushrooms and tangy cheese for an ideal Sunday roast side dish
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli, ends and larger stalks trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered if very large
- 50g creamy Stilton (or vegetarian alternative), crumbled or chopped
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
MethodBoil for about 3 mins until bright green but not quite tender, then remove and cool under cold water. Drain well. Can be done up to a day ahead and kept covered in the fridge.
- 450g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Trim off any hard ends from the broccoli stalks as well as any very coarse leaves. Bring a large quantity of salted water to the boil in a very large saucepan and plunge in the broccoli. With the lid on, quickly bring the water back to the boil, then remove the lid and briskly simmer the broccoli for about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, heat both oils in the pan over a medium heat. Fry the garlic for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the slices are light golden. Throw in the broccoli and fry it for 2-3 minutes, tossing frequently, until the stalks are piping hot and imbued with the garlicky oil.
- Serve immediately with the sesame seeds sprinkled over the top.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- thumb-tip piece fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 250g chestnut mushroom, quartered
- ½ Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 300g soba noodle
- 195g jar black bean stir-fry sauce
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the garlic and ginger. Gently cook for 2 mins until softened. Add mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden. Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 1 min more.
- Cook noodles according to pack instructions. Stir the black bean sauce into the cabbage and stir-fry for 1 min. Stir in 100ml water, then cover and simmer for 5 mins until the cabbage is tender. Stir in spring onions. Drain noodles, toss with the cabbage serve.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 4 mins or until just tender. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic, cook until lightly golden, then add the lemon zest and cook for 1 min more. When the broccoli is cooked, drain well, toss with the garlicky oil, season and serve.