- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
- 215 - 16 - ounce cancannellini beans (white kidney beans) and/or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 114 1/2- ounce canno-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1tablespoon honey or molasses
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
MethodPreheat skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 1.3kg young broad beans in the pod (to give about 350g/12oz shelled beans)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 450g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4-6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram or parsley
- Blanch the shelled beans in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain into a sieve and hold under running cold water to cool them down quickly. Drain again and peel off the outer hard skins – make a nick in the tops and pop the beans out.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan until very hot, add the tomatoes and sauté over a high heat until the juices begin to run and caramelise. Tip in the spring onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the onions just begin to soften and the garlic begins to turn golden. Now add the beans and sauté for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Stir in the anchovies so they break up, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the marjoram or parsley and serve.
- 500g green beans, topped and tailed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2-3 bunches cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Cook the beans in a pan of boiling salted water for 6-8 mins until just tender. Drain and quickly cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on the barbecue, then add the garlic and cook quickly until lightly browned. Add the beans, stir well, cover and leave to reheat. Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes on the grill bars until softened and slightly browned. Tip the beans into a serving bowl and top with the tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve.
- 315 - 19 - ounce canwhite kidney beans (cannellini beans), rinsed and drained
- 114 - ounce canvegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 17 - ounce jaroil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2ounces shaved Asiago or Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine drained beans, vegetable broth, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in tomatoes. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until tomatoes are heated through.
- To serve, top individual servings with cheese. If desired, top with pine nuts. Makes 6 servings.