A low-fat filler that can be warmed up easily for lunch the next day. Experiment with your favourite fillings
- 140g Camargue red rice
- 4 large red peppers
- oil, for brushing
- 270g jar hot salsa (we used Discovery)
- 200g chopped cooked chicken
- 200g can red kidney beans, drained
- 40g grated mature cheddar
- 20g pack coriander, chopped
- lime wedges, to serve
MethodMeanwhile, heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Slice the tops off the peppers and cut out the seeds. Lightly oil, then bake (with the lids) in a roasting tin for 12 mins.
- 4 tbsp hot salsa from a jar
- 2 large flour tortillas, seeded or plain
- 215g can kidney bean, drained and roughly mashed
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 50g leftover roast chicken, shredded (use the last of the meat on the carcass)
- 85g grated mature cheddar
- ½ a 20g pack coriander, leaves chopped (optional)
- oil, for brushing
- Spread 2 tbsp salsa onto each tortilla, then evenly top one of them with the beans, spring onion, chicken and cheddar. Scatter with coriander, if you have it. Sandwich with the other tortilla, then brush with oil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan, then cook the tortilla, oil-side down, for 4 mins. Carefully turn over with a palette knife (or by turning it out onto a plate, sliding it back into the pan), then cook for 2 mins on the other side until golden. Serve cut into wedges.
- 13 - ounce cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast half
- 2tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 2tablespoons chunky salsa
- 1teaspoon diced green chile peppers
- 1/4 cup coarsely crushed baked tortilla chips
- Top warm chicken breast with tomato, salsa, and chile peppers. Sprinkle with tortilla chips.
- 2pounds chicken breast tenderloins
- 3/4 cup purchased salsa
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a deep bowl. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the salsa, the olive oil, garlic, poultry seasoning, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Thread chicken onto eight 12-inch-long skewers,* leaving a 1/4-inch space between pieces.
- Place skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, brushing with the remaining 1/2 cup salsa during the last 2 minutes of grilling.