This broccoli and feta dish makes a great vegetarian starter with a pinch of warming chilli. The preserved lemon yogurt is seriously addictive
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 preserved lemon, plus 1 tbsp juice from the jar
- 80g Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, grated to a purée
- 30g feta, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil
MethodTrim any woody ends from the broccoli – if any has wider stalks than the rest, split them along their length. Put the broccoli in a roasting tin large enough that it will fit in a single layer and add the olive oil, chilli and season well. Toss with your hands, then roast for 15 mins, turning the broccoli over halfway through. It should be tender and slightly charred.
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, deseeded and cut into thick strips
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 preserved lemon, pulp removed and rind cut into thin strips (see tip)
- 200g pack feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice ½ lemon
- small bunch each flat-leaf parsley and mint, finely shredded
- crusty bread, to serve
- Put the tomatoes, onion and lemon in a shallow bowl or platter. Crumble the feta over, drizzle with oil and lemon juice, and scatter over the herbs.
- Toss gently just before serving along with chunks of warm, crusty bread.
- 450g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Trim off any hard ends from the broccoli stalks as well as any very coarse leaves. Bring a large quantity of salted water to the boil in a very large saucepan and plunge in the broccoli. With the lid on, quickly bring the water back to the boil, then remove the lid and briskly simmer the broccoli for about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, heat both oils in the pan over a medium heat. Fry the garlic for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the slices are light golden. Throw in the broccoli and fry it for 2-3 minutes, tossing frequently, until the stalks are piping hot and imbued with the garlicky oil.
- Serve immediately with the sesame seeds sprinkled over the top.
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- handful of pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 courgettes, roughly sliced
- 250g risotto rice, such as arborio
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- 140g petits pois
- Mix together the feta, olives, parsley and 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, deep pan. Tip in onion, sizzle gently for 5 minutes until softened. Add courgettes, soften for a couple of minutes, then stir in rice.
- Pour in a ladleful of stock and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed. Add another ladle of stock and repeat until all the stock has been used, adding petit pois a couple of minutes before the last ladle. Simmer until rice is tender and juices creamy. Ladle into bowls, then scatter over feta and olive crumble.