These savoury pancake wraps are a real hit with children and make a great, speedy snack
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- Spicy chicken or Lemon prawn flavouring (see below)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- shredded lettuce, such as Romaine
- chopped cucumber
- quartered cherry tomatoes
- tomato ketchup or mayonnaise
MethodMake a well in the centre with the back of a spoon and break in the egg. Gradually whisk in the milk to make a thick batter, then add either the Spicy chicken or Lemon prawn pancake ingredients, with some salt and ground black pepper.
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 30g sachet fajita seasoning (we like Discovery), or 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 8 soft corn tortillas wraps (Old El Paso are good)
- grated cheese, guacamole and soured cream
- handful coriander or parsley, roughly chopped
- Gently fry onions for 5 mins in oil, until softened. Tip in beans, tomatoes and seasoning, then simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, warm the wraps in the microwave on High for 1 min.
- Take a large spoonful of beans and spoon along the centre of each wrap. Top with some grated cheese, a spoonful of guacamole and soured cream and a sprinkling of coriander or parsley. Wrap into a cigar shape and eat straight away.
- 1½ tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large courgette, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 50g soft goat's cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 Kalamata olives, rinsed and halved
- 2 handfuls baby kale or watercress
- radishes, to serve (optional)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and add the spring onions and courgette. Cook, stirring frequently, to soften the courgette and drive off any excess moisture. Tip the veg into a bowl and wash the pan.
- Beat an egg with 1 tbsp water, half the herbs and some black pepper. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, pour in the egg mixture and swirl the pan to set it thinly on the base. Cook for a couple of mins, tip onto a plate and repeat with the other egg, 1 tbsp water and remaining herbs.
- Spread the goat’s cheese down the centre of each pancake and top with the courgette mix, scatter over the tomatoes, olives and baby kale, then roll up and cut in half. Alternatively, spread the goat’s cheese over the pancakes, top with the filling and serve open. Eat with some radishes on the side, if you like.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 linkcountry-style chicken breakfast sausage, such as Al Fresco All Natural brand
- 1 egg
- 2tablespoons cornmeal
- 1teaspoon honey
- 2tablespoons sugar-free maple-flavor syrup
- Lightly coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Using kitchen scissors, carefully snip the sausage link into bite-size pieces over the hot skillet. Cook until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together egg, cornmeal, and honey until well mixed. Pour egg mixture over hot sausage. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom is set and golden brown. Flip pancake over. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup.