This healthy, satisfying salad makes a tasty packed lunch or light supper with green beans, parsley, chives and lemon
- 4 quail's eggs
- 100g green beans
- 100g new potatoes, halved or quartered if very large
- 1 anchovy, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- juice ½ lemon
MethodLower the quail’s eggs into the water and cook for 2 mins. Lift out the eggs with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl of cold water. Add the beans to the pan, simmer for 4 mins until tender, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and plunge into the bowl of cold water.
- 250g Jersey Royal potato scrubbed, then halved or quartered
- 140g fine green beans, trimmed
- 85g garden radishes, trimmed and sliced
- large bunch (about 150g) watercress
- 1 plump garlic clove
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 8-10 mins until just tender, then drain and leave to cool. Prepare a bowl of iced water. In a separate pan, boil the beans for 3-4 mins until just cooked with a slight crunch. Drain, refresh in the iced water, then drain again. Keep all the salad ingredients separate until ready to serve.
- To make the dressing, use a mortar and pestle to crush the garlic with a tiny pinch of salt. Mash the anchovies into the garlic, then stir in the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- When ready to serve, toss all the salad ingredients together with half the dressing, then serve the rest of the dressing separately for drizzling over.
- 4 medium potatoes (about 600g/1lb 5oz), thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pack soft rindless goat's cheese, sliced
- 3 tbsp pesto
- handful rocket leaves
- tomato and basil salad, to serve (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 5 mins until just tender. Meanwhile, heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the garlic and eggs together with some seasoning, then drain the potatoes and stir into the egg.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan, then tip in the egg and potato mixture. Cook over a low heat for 5 mins or until two-thirds of the frittata is set, then cook in the oven for 10-15 mins until cooked through.
- Arrange the goat’s cheese round the edge of the frittata and drizzle with the pesto. Top with rocket and serve with a tomato & basil salad, if you like.
- 1kg new potatoes, scrubbed
- 200g lardon, or chopped bacon
- bunch chives, snipped
- 1 tbsp walnut oil or hazelnut oil
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, groundnut oil or corn oil
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 5 tsp white wine vinegar
- 200ml single cream
- For the dressing put the oils, mustard and vinegar into a bowl with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper and whisk hard for 3 mins. Add cream and stir in. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Boil potatoes for 12-15 mins until tender, drain, then when cool enough to handle, halve. Meanwhile, fry lardons with lots of black pepper until golden. Mix together the potatoes, lardons and chives. Pour over the dressing and mix again.