- 2 pounds Beef flank steak
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions (2 large)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Rice vinegar
- 2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, finely chopped*
- 4 teaspoons chinese five-spice powder
- 12 large lettuce leaves, Swiss Chard leaves, or Napa Cabbage leaves
- 4 ounces radishes, cut into matchstick Pieces (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh thai basil leaves
- 3 Green Onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- asian chili sauce (sriracha sauce) (optional)
MethodCut meat into 2-inch pieces. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Top with onions. In a medium bowl combine the water, fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, half of the jalapeno pepper, and the five-spice powder. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- 1pound flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1cup diced peeled cucumber
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Mint
- 1tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Basil
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 2tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1 headBibb lettuce, leaves separated
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine the sliced steak, cucumber, tomatoes, shallot, mint, basil and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the steak mixture; toss well to coat. To serve, spoon a portion of the steak mixture into a lettuce leaf and roll into a "wrap."
- Tips:To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: The steak mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow and/or red baby beets (without tops)
- 1 1 1/2 pound Beef flank steak
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup stone-ground dijon-style mustard, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons White Wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Tightly wrap beets in foil, wrapping each color separately. Roast beets for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until tender; cool. Peel beets; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Chill beets until needed.
- Meanwhile, trim fat from meat. Score both sides of meat in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Sprinkle meat with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the mustard and the honey; spread over meat.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place meat on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling.Remove from grill; cool. Cut meat across the grain into 1/4-inch slices; halve or quarter long slices.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine shallots, oil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 3 tablespoons mustard. Cover and shake well.
- To serve, arrange meat and beet slices on chilled dinner plates. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with parsley.
- 1 1/2 pounds Beef flank steak
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1 recipe Lemon butter (below)
- 4 cups shredded Napa Cabbage
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, bias-sliced into 1-inch Pieces
- Place steak in a shallow dish. Add cilantro, half of the olive oil, the lemon peel and juice, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and the red pepper. Turn steak to coat. Cover; chill 30 minutes to 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Butter; set aside. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat remaining oil over medium heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Cook steak 15 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once. Cover; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve steak with vegetables and Lemon Butter. Makes 4 servings.