- 4 slicespumpernickel or dark rye bread, toasted
- 6ounces thinly sliced lower-sodium deli roast beef
- 4 slicesreduced-fat Swiss cheese (3 to 4 ounces)
- 5cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- 1tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 2tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon cider vinegar
MethodPlace bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until toasted, turning once.
Recipe TipTip: For easy cleanup, cover baking sheet with foil before cooking sandwiches under broiler.
- 1cup frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame), thawed
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 4 very thin slices firm-texture whole wheat bread, toasted, or 2 whole wheat pita bread rounds, split in half horizontally
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, thinly sliced*
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine edamame, avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and salt; use a fork or potato masher to mash ingredients together until avocado is smooth and edamame is coarsely mashed. Stir in sweet pepper.
- Spread edamame mixture atop bread slices or on pita halves. Arrange egg slices atop edamame mixture. Sprinkle with black pepper.Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2100% whole wheat bagel thin
- 1 small slicelower-sodium oven-roasted turkey breast (3/4 ounce)
- 1 small slicelow-sodium Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce)
- Preheat broiler. Place bagel thin half on the rack of an unheated broiler pan. Place the turkey slice and the cheese slice on the bagel half. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 1/2-inchthick slices of peeled eggplant
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8ounces 95% lean ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2tablespoons refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce,* heated
- 1ounce shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup)
- 1cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly brush a baking sheet with the olive oil. Place egg white in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine 1/3 cup of the panko, 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the parsley flakes. Dip each eggplant slice in the egg white, then dip in the panko mixture to coat. Place eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake about 30 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef with remaining panko, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, the garlic powder, and egg. Evenly divide mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place patties on the grill rack directly over medium heat. Cover and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are done (160 degrees F), turning once
- To serve, top each eggplant slice with a beef patty and some of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and top each serving with 1/2 cup arugula.