Enjoy a taste of Scotland in our warming soup with swede, potato and haggis topping. It's Burns Night in a bowl
- 25g butter
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ medium-sized swede (about 200g), peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced into small pieces
- 140g potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- good grating of nutmeg
- 400ml milk
- 140g cooked haggis or black pudding, chopped or crumbled into pieces
- 2 tbsp double cream
- a few celery leaves, torn
MethodAdd the coriander and the vegetables, fry for 4-5 mins, then cover with 400ml water and bring to the boil. Cook until all the vegetables are soft – around 20-25 mins.
"We are remodeling the kitchen and getting very hungry for food again so I got out the slow cooker and made this soup.It's perfect when you do not have a lot of time.Since you can get soup bones that contain little fat, this soup is nearly fat-free.When the soup is cooled there is no visible fat at the surface."
- 2 Beef Soup bones
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place beef bones in a large size slow cooker.Add salt, celery stalks, onion, bouquets garnis, pepper, carrots, parsley and garlic.Fill slow cooker within 2 inches ofthe top with hot water and cook for 6 hours, covered on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and cook for 2 more hours stirring occasionally or until meat can easily be removed from bones.
- Remove and discard onion, bouquets garnis, celery, and parsley.
- Transfer bones to a dish and remove meat from bones, being careful not to take off cartilage or gristle. Place meat back into soup, stir, and serve.
"A delicious soup.Ideal when served with a Mexican feast."
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chile paste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.Heat garlic, cilantro and chili paste.Saute onion until tender.Stir in carrots and potato; cook 5 minutes and then pour in vegetable broth.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are soft.With a hand blender, blend until smooth.
"This is a very savory and tasty soup!"
- In a heavy 4 quart pan, melt 1/4 cup butter and onion until wilted. Add cleaned and sliced leeks, potatoes, water and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove from heat and cool if you want. Blend the cooked mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan; add 1/4 cup butter, cream and chives. Check for seasonings. Heat, but do not boil or the cream will curdle.