A quick dessert than can be as indulgent or as healthy as you want, experiment with your favourites
- 284ml tub whipping cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml white wine
- zest and juice from ½ lemon
- almond thins or berries, to serve
MethodStir in the wine, most of the lemon zest and the juice. Spoon into glasses or bowls, sprinkle with the remaining zest and serve with almond thins or berries.
- Dip fresh strawberries in lemon curd and sprinkle with finely shredded lemon peel.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 Eggs
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 recipe Lemon Curd (see Recipe Center) or 1 cup purchased lemon curd
- 1 recipe Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
- Lemon peel curls (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour three 9 x 1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice; beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a cake plate. Spread with half of the Lemon Curd. Top with second layer; spread with the remaining Lemon Curd. Top with third layer. Frost top and sides with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with lemon peel curls. Makes 12 servings.
- 2 3 ounce pkg. lemon-flavored gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- sugar and/or lemon slices
- In a medium bowl stir together lemon gelatin and boiling water until fully dissolved. Add vodka and lemon juice.
- Coat a 2-qt. square baking dish with cooking spray. Pour mixture into dish. Chill 3 hours or until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares. Serve in sugar-rimmed cocktail glasses with lemon slices.