A low-calorie bulghar wheat salad that's rich in iron, folate, fibre and calcium - as tasty as it is good for you!
- 150g bulghar wheat
- 2 eggs
- 60g baby kale or curly kale, roughly chopped
- 20g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 50g pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- juice 1 lemon
- 100ml 0% fat Greek yoghurt
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- ¼ garlic clove, crushed
MethodMix well, cover the bowl with cling film and leave for 10-15 mins until al dente.
- 4 salmon fillets (about 125g each), boned and skinned
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 100g green bean, trimmed
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 shallots, very thinly sliced and broken into rings
- handful mint or coriander leaves
- 50g toasted desiccated coconut
- 1 thumb-sized red chilli, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- Heat the grill. Place the salmon, skin-side up, on a foil-lined tray, season well and rub the sugar on top. Grill for about 10 mins until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, blanch the beans in boiling water for 1 min, drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Arrange on 4 plates, then add the mango and shallots.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Break the salmon into a few pieces over each plate. Add the mint or coriander leaves, coconut and chilli to each. Pour over the dressing and serve with a lime wedge.
- 300g raw peeled king prawn
- 1½ tbsp Jamaican jerk paste
- 400g can black bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 large mango, stoned, peeled and diced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 8 taco shells
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
- 165ml can coconut milk
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 2 pinches of sugar
- Stir the prawns and jerk paste together in a bowl and set aside. Mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Tip the beans into a bowl along with the mango, onion, cucumber, most of the coriander, the dressing and some seasoning. Warm the taco shells following pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the prawns and cook for 2-3 mins or until cooked through.
- To build the tacos, start with a handful of lettuce, followed by the bean salad, then top with the prawns. Sprinkle over the remaining coriander and serve.
- 250g Jersey Royal potato scrubbed, then halved or quartered
- 140g fine green beans, trimmed
- 85g garden radishes, trimmed and sliced
- large bunch (about 150g) watercress
- 1 plump garlic clove
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 8-10 mins until just tender, then drain and leave to cool. Prepare a bowl of iced water. In a separate pan, boil the beans for 3-4 mins until just cooked with a slight crunch. Drain, refresh in the iced water, then drain again. Keep all the salad ingredients separate until ready to serve.
- To make the dressing, use a mortar and pestle to crush the garlic with a tiny pinch of salt. Mash the anchovies into the garlic, then stir in the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- When ready to serve, toss all the salad ingredients together with half the dressing, then serve the rest of the dressing separately for drizzling over.