Give chicken salad a Caribbean twist with jerk spice, creamy avocado and exotic papaya.
- 3-4 (depending on size) red chicory
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 lime, juice of ½ , the rest cut into 2 wedges
- 1 tsp jerk spice mix
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 papaya, halved, deseeded, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
- new potatoes, to serve (optional)
MethodThickly slice the base and set aside.
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup chopped cored apple, chopped seeded cucumber, or finely chopped celery
- 1 hard-cooked Egg, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl stir together chicken, apple, and egg. Add yogurt and mayonnaise; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 4 hours.
- Spread chicken mixture on half of the bread slices. Top with lettuce leaves and remaining bread slices. Cut away crusts if desired. Cut each sandwich into four triangles or squares.
- 5 1/2 pints purchased deli Chicken Salad
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup snipped fresh tarragon or mint
- 50 baked miniature croissants (4-inch or smaller), split
- In a very large bowl stir together the chicken salad and the tarragon or mint. Fill each split croissant with about 1/4 cup chicken salad mixture. Layer filled croissants in a large roasting pan; cover and chill up to 4 hours. To serve, arrange on serving platters. Makes 50 croissants.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup seedless red grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Red Onion (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped radishes or daikon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 5 ounce carton Pina Colada or pineapple low-fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup Mango Chutney, snipped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup dry roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Fresh Basil leaves
- 12 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- In a large bowl combine chicken, grapes, red onion, radishes, and coconut; set aside.
- For dressing, in a small bowl combine yogurt, chutney, and curry powder. Stir dressing into chicken mixture. If desired, cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Stir cashews into chicken mixture. Divide basil leaves among 6 of the toasted bread slices. Spread chicken mixture over basil; top with the remaining 6 toasted bread slices.