Prep time20 mins Cook time20 mins Yield Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger and 1/4 cup sauce)
A simple, four-ingredient sauce elevates this burger from pretty good to perfect. After eating this burger, you'll dream of luaus.
- pineapple-Papaya sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons fresh papaya, finely diced
- 2/3 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- hawaiian Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground Turkey Breast
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4thin slices fresh pineapple (optional)
- 4whole-grain Hamburger rolls, toasted
- 4lettuce leaves
- 4tomato slices
- 4thinly sliced Red Onion (optional)
MethodCook, stirring over moderate heat until sauce boils; simmer 10 minutes.
- 500g pack turkey mince
- ½ tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 1 lemon
- 250g cooked peeled beetroot (not in vinegar), finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Little Gem lettuce, to serve
- wholemeal pitta bread, to serve
- Tip turkey into a bowl with the thyme. Finely grate in the zest from the lemon and add a little seasoning. Use your hands to mix the ingredients well, then shape into 4 patties. Chill until ready to cook. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Mix the beetroot with the juice from ½ the lemon, onion, parsley, oil and mustard. Grill, griddle or barbecue the burgers for about 6 mins each side and serve with the beetroot relish, lettuce and pitta breads.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 200g basmati rice
- 450ml chicken stock
- 400g can kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 4 turkey steaks
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 5oz 140g fresh pineapple (or 220g can pineapple rings, drained)
- ½ green chilli, finely chopped
- juice 1 lime
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the onion for the salsa. Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the remaining onion and half the pepper for 4 mins or until softened and coloured. Stir in the rice, then pour in the stock. Add the kidney beans and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, stir once, cover the pan, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 15 mins until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Dust the turkey steaks with the Cajun spice and griddle or fry in a non-stick pan for about 4-6 mins on each side until cooked through. Cut the pineapple into small pieces and mix together with the reserved red onion, pepper, green chilli and lime juice. Spoon some salsa over each steak and serve with the rice.
- 500g turkey thigh mince
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 85g cheddar, grated
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and cut into chips
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 soft wholemeal rolls
- ¼ x cucumber (or 1 small Lebanese cucumber), thinly sliced
- tomato ketchup
- salad, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the turkey mince in a large bowl, with the spring onions, cheddar and some seasoning. Mix well, then shape into 4 even-sized burgers. Chill for 15 mins.
- Put the sweet potato chips on a large non-stick baking tray, and toss in 2 tbsp of the oil and some salt. Cook in the oven for 30 mins, turning halfway through.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the burgers for 10 mins until golden. Turn over and repeat for the other side until they are cooked through. Split the rolls, place a burger into each with some sliced cucumber and a dollop of ketchup, and serve alongside the sweet potato chips and salad, if you like.