Grilled vegetables in a crusty bloomer loaf makes weekend entertaining a breeze - try it for a picnic too
- 3 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 2 yellow peppers, halved and deseeded
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced into long strips
- 2 courgettes, sliced into long strips
- 800g bloomer loaf
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp good-quality fresh vegetarian pesto
- handful basil leaves
MethodPlace the peppers, cut-side down, on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, then roast for 20 mins to colour the skins. Remove from the oven, place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool. Once cold, remove the skins and leave to one side. Drizzle the aubergine and courgette with the rest of the olive oil, then cook in batches on a griddle pan until marked on both sides. Set aside.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3 pound center-cut Beef Tenderloin
- 2 Japanese Eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 red or yellow Sweet Peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 Sweet Onion (such as Walla Walla or Vidalia), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons snipped Fresh Basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine oregano, cracked pepper, lemon peel, and 2 cloves of the garlic. Use your fingers to rub the mixture onto all sides of the meat.
- In a grill with a cover, arrange hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-hot heat above the pan. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Brush eggplants, sweet peppers, and onion slices with olive oil. Arrange vegetables on edges of grill rack directly over coals. Cover and grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning once. Remove vegetables from grill; set aside. Cover grill and continue grilling meat for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center registers 135 degrees for medium-rare doneness. Cover; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for relish, coarsely chop grilled vegetables. In a medium bowl combine grilled vegetables, tomatoes, olives, basil, the remaining garlic clove, the vinegar, salt, and the ground black pepper. Serve the beef with relish. Makes 10 servings.
- 6 large ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons mexican crema or Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Cut each ear of corn into thirds. Place corn pieces in a large pot and cover with water. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together cilantro, ground ancho chile pepper, lime peel, and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- In an extra-large bowl whisk together butter, mayonnaise, crema, and lime juice; set aside. Drain corn. For a charcoal or gas grill, place corn on a grill directly over medium-high heat. Cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes or until corn is tender, turning every 5 minutes and brushing with butter mixture several times during the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- Place grilled corn in the remaining butter mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle cilantro mixture over corn; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt.
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. On a platter, drizzle asparagus with butter and sprinkle with dill, garlic, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- For a charcoal grill, placeasparagus on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, rolling asparagus occasionally to ensure even cooking. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place asparagus on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- To serve, transfer asparagus to a serving dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.