This basic naan dough is filled with ajwain seeds, onion and coriander and quickly cooked on a griddle pan or barbecue to add a smoky finish
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for greasing and layering
- knob of butter, to serve
- 1 tbsp ajwain seeds (see tip)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- large handful coriander, chopped
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
MethodKnead the dough for 10 mins until it is soft and smooth. If the dough is dry, add 1 tbsp water and knead again.
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Hamburger buns
- American cheese slices (optional)
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- Tomato slices (optional)
- Red Onion slices (optional)
- Pickle slices (optional)
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine garlic or onion, catsup, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine ground beef, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Grill meat on the grill rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce.
- To serve, split and toast the buns on the grill. Serve patties in buns with cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickle, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- 4 Beef Tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces fresh portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons snipped Fresh Basil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Trim fat from steaks. Season steaks with salt and pepper. For a charcoal grill, place steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill until desired doneness, turning once. Allow 11 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145 degree F) or 14 to 18 minutes for medium doneness (160 degree F).
- Meanwhile, for relish, grill onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes directly over medium coals until tender, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 15 minutes for onion and 10 minutes for mushrooms and tomatoes. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks, then vegetables on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Cut onion, mushrooms, and tomato halves into 1-inch pieces. In a medium bowl stir together basil, garlic, olive oil, the 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and the 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper; stir in grilled vegetables. To serve, spoon warm relish over steaks. Makes 4 sesrvings.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3 pound center-cut Beef Tenderloin
- 2 Japanese Eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 red or yellow Sweet Peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 Sweet Onion (such as Walla Walla or Vidalia), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons snipped Fresh Basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine oregano, cracked pepper, lemon peel, and 2 cloves of the garlic. Use your fingers to rub the mixture onto all sides of the meat.
- In a grill with a cover, arrange hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-hot heat above the pan. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Brush eggplants, sweet peppers, and onion slices with olive oil. Arrange vegetables on edges of grill rack directly over coals. Cover and grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning once. Remove vegetables from grill; set aside. Cover grill and continue grilling meat for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center registers 135 degrees for medium-rare doneness. Cover; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for relish, coarsely chop grilled vegetables. In a medium bowl combine grilled vegetables, tomatoes, olives, basil, the remaining garlic clove, the vinegar, salt, and the ground black pepper. Serve the beef with relish. Makes 10 servings.