Spice up sweetcorn cobs with a jerk-seasoned butter, mellowed by maple syrup - omit the bacon for a vegetarian barbecue side dish
- 2 thumb-sized pieces ginger
- 250g pack butter, softened
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 scotch bonnet chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or use light brown sugar)
- zest 2 limes
- 8 large sweetcorn cobs
- 8 rashers streaky bacon (optional)
MethodPut the flesh in a bowl with all the other butter ingredients, plus 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper and 1 tsp salt, and mix well until even. Can be made ahead: save 2 tbsp at room temperature (this is for brushing over the corn as it cooks), then roll the rest into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film and chill. Slice into rounds before serving.
- 4 corn on the cobs
- 50g soft butter
- small bunch coriander, chopped
- small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Mash butter, coriander, chilli, garlic and a good pinch of salt with a fork. Place on a piece of cling film, form into a sausage shape, then freeze for 15 mins until hard.
- Cook the corn in boiling salted water for 5 mins, until tender, then drain. Cut the butter into slices about 1cm thick, pop on top of the warm corn and allow to melt. Great with BBQ drumsticks.
- 4 whole dabs, dark skin scored
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- juice ½ lemon
- small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 250g bag spinach
- Heat the grill to high. Cut the frills away from the sides of the dabs using scissors. Lay the fish on a baking tray, dark skin up, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt. Place under a hot grill for 5 mins, until cooked through and the flesh comes away from the bone when prodded.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan until it starts to turn brown, then add the garlic and cook until it just starts to change colour. Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon juice and parsley, stir together and set aside.
- Wilt the spinach in a hot pan with a splash of water, then divide between 2 plates. Place 2 dabs on top of the spinach on each plate, drizzle with the butter sauce and serve.
- 4 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- 50g mayonnaise
- 2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp finely crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 lime, cut into quarters for squeezing
- Cook the corn cobs in a large pan of boiling water for 5 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the corn in the water until ready to grill.
- Heat a griddle barbecue using direct heat. Just before serving, remove the cobs from the water, pat dry and brush all over with mayonnaise and chilli flakes. Season to taste, then cook for 5 mins, turning regularly until grill marks appear. Sprinkle the cobs with feta and coriander, then serve immediately with lime wedges to squeeze over when eating.