Give chicken an Asian twist by serving it with stir-fried noodles packed with ginger, Chinese cabbage and bean sprouts
- 1½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half so you have 4 thin breasts
- 1 small aubergine, cut in half and then into wedges
- 1½ tbsp hoisin sauce
- 100g wholewheat noodle
- ½ x 100g pack beansprout
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- ¼ Chinese cabbage, shredded
- small pack coriander, roughly chopped
- juice 1 lime
- 1 ball stem ginger from a jar, very finely chopped, plus 1 tbsp syrup
MethodRub 1 tsp of oil onto the chicken breasts and season. Griddle for around 4 mins on each side or until cooked through. Set aside.
- 200g dried rice vermicelli or 3 x 150g Straight to Wok rice noodles
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp hot curry powder
- 1 Chinese cabbage, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 carrot, very thinly sliced
- 150ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar (any will do)
- 400g small, cooked, peeled prawns
- 140g beansprouts
- bunch spring onion, thinly sliced
- Oriental chilli oil, (look for one that contains shrimp paste), to serve)
- soy sauce, to serve
- If using dried noodles, place in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 5 mins, or follow the pack instructions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the ginger for 1 min. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the cabbage and carrot and stir-fry for 2 mins. Mix together the stock, sugar and vinegar and add to the pan with the prawns, beansprouts and drained noodles. Cook until piping hot, then stir through the spring onions, divide between bowls and serve with a splash of chilli oil and soy sauce.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- thumb-tip piece fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 250g chestnut mushroom, quartered
- ½ Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 300g soba noodle
- 195g jar black bean stir-fry sauce
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the garlic and ginger. Gently cook for 2 mins until softened. Add mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden. Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 1 min more.
- Cook noodles according to pack instructions. Stir the black bean sauce into the cabbage and stir-fry for 1 min. Stir in 100ml water, then cover and simmer for 5 mins until the cabbage is tender. Stir in spring onions. Drain noodles, toss with the cabbage serve.
- 1.8kg roasted chicken, at room temperature
- 2 hearts romaine lettuces
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 spring onions
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra for squeezing
- 200g packet feta cheese
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried mint
- half a bunch of flatleaf parsley
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp black kalamata olives
- pitta bread, to serve (optional)
- Pull the meat from the chicken and shred it roughly. Trim the base from each lettuce, wash and dry the leaves, then roughly shred them. Cut the tomatoes into wedges. Finely slice the spring onions (using both white and green parts). Cut the avocados in half lengthways, remove the stones and peel. Cut crosswise into slices, and squeeze with lemon juice. Crumble the feta cheese with your fingers and toss it with the dried oregano and mint. Pick the leaves off the parsley and set aside.
- Whisk the 3 tbsp of lemon juice with the olive oil, sea salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and spring onion, then fold through three quarters of the dressing with the avocados (carefully, so the avocados don’t break up). Season with salt and pepper, then scatter over the feta, olives and parsley, and drizzle with the rest of the dressing. Squeeze extra lemon juice on top, and serve with pitta bread if you wish.