The North African breakfast of eggs in a spicy tomato sauce is made doubly delicious with a British twist of bacon, bangers, beans and a sprinkle of chilli
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 4 chipolatas
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 200g chestnut mushroom or button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g can haricot beans, drained
- 200ml passata
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 2-4 eggs (depending on how hungry you are)
- small handful parsley, chopped
- buttered toast, to serve
MethodAdd the chipolatas, cook until brown all over, then push to one side of the pan. Add the bacon to one part of the pan and the mushrooms to the other. Fry until the bacon starts to crisp and the mushrooms are golden. Tip the contents of the pan onto a plate.
- 500g peas and broad beans (freshly podded if possible)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 or so spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- assortment of lettuce leaves, such as wild rocket, Baby Gem, water or land cress
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- handful chervil and flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Throw the peas and beans into a large pan of rapidly boiling salted water. Bring back to the boil for no more than 1-2 mins. Drain and allow to cool naturally (rather than plunging into iced water, which in my opinion washes off flavour).
- Dress while still warm in a little of the olive oil, scatter over the spring onions and season well. Finally, dress the lettuce leaves in the remaining oil, the lemon juice and zest. Season well. Toss together with the peas, broad beans and spring onions. Scatter the herbs over the top.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, snipped in half
- 8 chipolata sausages, snipped in half
- 16 button or chestnut mushrooms
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- salad leaves, 4 small crusty baguettes or rolls, and tomato or brown sauce, to serve
- Heat the grill to high and mix together the oil, honey and mustard with some seasoning in a small bowl.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each half sausage, then start to load up the kebabs. On each skewer thread a mushroom, bacon-wrapped sausage chunk and a cherry tomato, then repeat so there are 2 of each on each skewer.
- Brush the honey-mustard sauce over the skewers, then grill, turning, for 10 mins until the sausages are golden, sticky and cooked through. Split the rolls, and serve alongside the skewers with a handful of salad leaves and a dollop of tomato or brown sauce per person.
- 300g jumbo oats
- 100g Allbran
- 25g wheatgerm
- 100g dark raisins
- 140g ready-to-eat apricots, snipped into chunks
- 50g golden linseed
- Mix everything in a large bowl.
- Pour lots of chilled milk over and let it soak while you make tea. If you want to sweeten it, grate over some unpeeled apple and sprinkle with dark muscovado sugar.
- Store for up to 2 months, airtight.