These healthier oat bars use bananas and apple to bind the mixture, so you can cut down on the fat and sugar
- 50g butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 250g rolled Oats
- 85g dried apricot, chopped
- 100g raisin
- 85g mixed seed (we used pumpkin and sunflower)
MethodGrease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment. Heat the butter, peanut butter and honey or maple syrup in a small pan until melted. Add the mashed banana, apple and 100ml hot water, and mix to combine.
- 140g butter
- 140g soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 175g rolled oats
- 75g chopped pistachios
- 140g dried chopped apricots
- Put butter, soft brown sugar and honey in a small pan, then heat gently until melted.
- Tip oats, pistachios and apricots into a medium bowl. Pour over the melted butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 20cm x 20cm greased and lined baking tray and cook at 160C/140C fan/gas 4 for 35-40 mins. Remove and cool in tin, then slice into 16. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 175g golden syrup
- 425g porridge oats
- 50g/2oz walnut pieces
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 3 tbsp fine-cut orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C and generously butter a 28 x 8cm shallow baking tin. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup over a medium heat, stirring all the time. Take off the heat and stir in the oats, walnuts and orange zest. The mixture should be quite soft.
- Tip the mixture into the baking tin and level it off. Bake for around 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown but the centre is still a little soft. Remove from the oven and mark into 12 pieces while it is still warm, cutting down halfway through the mixture with a sharp knife. Leave to cool.
- Heat the marmalade with 1 tbsp water until it becomes syrupy. Brush this glaze over the flapjack mixture and leave to cool before cutting into 12 pieces. They will keep in an airtight tin for up to a week.
- 200g butter
- 100g golden syrup
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 300g rolled oats
- 2 grated carrots
- zest 1 orange
- 100g chopped apricot
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g pumpkin seed
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line an 18cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Melt butter, golden syrup and sugar in a large pan. Mix in rolled oats, carrots, orange zest, apricots, cinnamon and pumpkin seeds. Stir everything well, then pack into the prepared tin, pushing down firmly. Bake for 40-45 mins, then cool in the tin before slicing into 16 squares.