- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3tablespoons water
- 4teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12ounces beef flank steak
- 3tablespoons water
- 2tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
- 2tablespoons honey
- 6cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 small red and/or yellow tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
MethodCover and shake well. Pour half of the lime juice mixture into a small bowl; stir in onion and garlic. Reserve remaining lime juice mixture.
- 250g pack medium rice noodle
- 2-3 rump or sirloin steaks, about 700g/1lb 9oz in total
- juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 long red chillies, seeded and cut into long strips
- 300g beansprout
- 20g pack coriander, leaves picked and torn
- 2 x 20g packs basil, leaves picked and torn
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Put the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over a kettleful of water and leave for about 4 mins until softened. Drain in a colander then rinse under cold water.
- Heat a heavy non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Trim any fat from the steaks. When hot, sear the steaks for 2-3 mins each side. Remove from the heat and leave to rest while you make the salad.
- Mix together the lime juice, vegetable oil and fish sauce, add the strips of chilli and give it a good stir. Combine the beansprouts, coriander and basil, then stir in the lime and chilli mix.
- Thinly slice the steaks into strips and toss together with the other ingredients. Divide the noodles between four plates and pile the beef salad on top. Serve with sweet chilli sauce, if you like.
- 2 thick cut sirloin steaks (600g/1lb 5oz in total)
- 4 tbsp lime juice (about 2-3 limes)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1 red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- Iceberg, Romaine or Webb's lettuce
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- 100g beansprout
- a bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 large carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- Grill the steaks for 2-3 minutes each side until medium rare. When cool, slice thinly.
- Mix the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chilli, mint and spring onions. Toss in the beef and tip into a serving bowl.
- Arrange the veg in bowls, so everyone can help themselves to lettuce, etc, to wrap around the beef.
- 250g pack of rice noodles
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g sliced roasted beef, from the deli counter
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- handful coriander leaves, chopped
- Soak the rice noodles according to pack instructions. Whisk together the soy sauce, lime, ginger and oil in a large serving bowl. Drain the noodles well, then tip into the bowl. Cut the beef into bite-size pieces then add to the bowl along with the remaining ingredients. Toss everything together, then serve.