This light, easy-to-make brioche will keep for two days, and is delicious with apricot jam.
- 250g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 2 rounded tbsp caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast-action yeast
- 3 eggs
- beaten egg yolk, to glaze
- 2-3 sugar cubes, lightly crushed
MethodProcess until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar, a good pinch of salt and the yeast.
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (5 to 6 large)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 8 ounce carton dairy Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut each unpeeled potato into 1-inch-thick wedges. Place in a large self-sealing plastic bag; toss with oil, sea salt, and pepper. Arrange in two 13x9x2-inch disposable foil pans.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine orange juice, 3 teaspoons of the chili powder, and honey; set aside.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until tender, brushing three times with orange juice mixture, and shaking pan occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/3 cup cilantro. Transfer potatoes to a serving dish; serve with sour cream mixture. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 12 bias-cut slices (about 1/2 inch thick) baguette-style French Bread
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 - 3 ounces sliced talEggio cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with olive oil. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until bread is crisp and lightly browned, turning once.
- For caramelized onion, in a small skillet, melt butter. Add onion. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Stir in prosciutto.
- To assemble, spread fig preserves on toasted bread slices; top with onion mixture and taleggio cheese. Return bread slices to the baking sheet. Bake about 3 minutes or until bruschetta is heated through and cheese is softened. Serve warm or cool. Makes 12 servings.
- 1 8 ounce wedge or round Cambozola, Camembert, or brie cheese
- Coarsely ground mixed pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Sliced coarse-grain or crusty bread, toasted, or crackers
- If using a cheese round, peel rind from top of cheese. Place cheese round or wedge in a quiche dish or shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with pepper and walnuts or pecans.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese is softened and just begins to melt. Serve with bread slices or crackers. Makes 8 servings.