Crispy roast potatoes are an essential part of the perfect roast lunch. If you like parsnips, roast them in exactly the same way
MethodBring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the potatoes, then boil for 5 mins. Drain the potatoes well, then shake in the colander (or back in the pan), to rough up the edges a little. Tip into your largest roasting tin and sprinkle with the flour and some salt. Stir, then drizzle over the oil and stir again so that no dusty flour remains.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 lamb chops
- 1kg potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, left whole
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Turn the oven to fan 200C/ conventional 220C/gas 7. Heat half the oil in a flameproof roasting tin or ovenproof sauté pan. Brown the lamb for 2 minutes on each side, then lift out of the pan and set aside. Add the rest of the oil to the pan, add the potatoes, then fry for 4-5 minutes, until starting to brown. Add the rosemary and garlic, then return the lamb to the pan, too.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then scatter over the tomatoes and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes just begin to split. Remove from the oven and serve straight from the dish.
- 1½ kg Desirée potatoes, cut into roughly 1in chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, as thinly sliced as you can
- small bunch dill, roughly chopped
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add spuds, bring back to the boil, then cook for 3 mins. Drain really well, leave in the colander for 10 mins to steam dry. Toss with the oil, onion and seasoning in a large roasting tin.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and put in the potatoes. Roast for 30 mins, stirring halfway, until golden and crunchy. Stir in the dill and put back in the oven for 5 mins, then serve.
- 2kg leg of lamb
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- few rosemary sprigs
- few thyme sprigs
- 2kg large potato, such as King Edwards
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 600ml chicken stock
- 50g butter
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Cut small pockets into the skin and flesh of the lamb by piercing it with the point of a sharp knife. Stuff each pocket with a slice of garlic and a few leaves of rosemary, or scatter with thyme. Put in a roasting tin, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cover with foil.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, rinse under the cold tap and pile into a large ovenproof dish or roasting tin. Toss with the onions, remaining slices of garlic and a good scattering of herbs.
- Heat the stock and butter together, then pour over the potatoes. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven with the lamb for 1 hr. Uncover, put the lamb on top of the potatoes and roast uncovered for 45 mins more. Allow the lamb to rest before carving, for about 15 mins. Leave the potatoes in the oven (covered, if starting to brown too much) until ready to serve.