- 1/2 15 - ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1 piecrust)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2cups shredded fresh spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 2cups refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup chopped bottled roasted red sweet peppers
- 2teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
MethodLet piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Line a 9-inch pie plate with piecrust. Crimp edge as desired. Line unpricked piecrust with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until piecrust is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Recipe TipTest Kitchen Tip: Cover leftover quiche with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To reheat, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from quiche. Cover loosely with foil. Bake about 40 minutes or until heated through (165 degrees F).
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 190g bag spinach
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 400g can tomatoes
- 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2-3 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- 4 naan bread, warmed
- Put the sweet potato in a large, deep saucepan over a high heat. Cover with boiling water and boil for 10 mins. Meanwhile, put all the paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until very finely chopped. Set aside until needed.
- Put the spinach in a large colander in the sink and pour the sweet potatoes and their cooking water over it to drain the potatoes and wilt the spinach at the same time. Leave to steam-dry.
- Return the saucepan to the heat (no need to wash it first), then add the oil, followed by the spice paste. Fry the paste for about 5 mins until thickened, then add the chicken. Fry for 8-10 mins until the chicken starts to colour. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Check the chicken is cooked by cutting into one of the thighs and making sure it’s white throughout with no signs of pink. Season with black pepper, then add the sweet potato. Leave to simmer for a further 5 mins. Meanwhile, roughly chop the spinach and add to the stew. At this point you can leave the stew to cool and freeze for up to 3 months, if you like.
- Scatter over the pumpkin seeds and preserved lemons, and serve with warm naan bread on the side.
- 1 8- to 9-inch Italian flatbread (focaccia)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red sweet peppers
- 1teaspoon capers, drained (optional)
- 2cups fresh baby spinach and/or arugula
- 2cups shredded cooked chicken breast (10 ounces)
- 1 medium tomato, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, cooked if desired*
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, shredded
- Halve focaccia horizontally. Wrap and save the top half for another use. Set the bottom half aside. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, roasted red peppers, and, if using, capers. Spread mayonnaise mixture over the cut side of the focaccia half.
- Arrange spinach atop the mayonnaise mixture. Top with chicken, tomato, red onion, and eggs. Cut into wedges.
- 12ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1ounce soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 small pear or apple, cored and thinly sliced
- Brush chicken on both sides with some of the 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar; set aside. For a charcoal grill, place chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once and brushing with the remainder of the 1 tablespoon vinegar halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Cut each chicken breast half into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, wrap pita bread rounds in foil. Place on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill about 8 minutes or until bread is warm, turning once halfway through grilling.
- For sauce:In a small bowl, use a fork to stir together mayonnaise, goat cheese, milk, and the 1 teaspoon vinegar. Stir in green onion.
- To assemble, arrange spinach, pear slices, and chicken in pita bread halves. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce into each pita.