A low fat main meal that's both delicious and nutritious, and it freezes well
- 175g new potato, halved (Charlotte would work well)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 slices lemon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 450ml chicken stock
- large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of all fat and cut into cubes
- ½ x 410g can chickpea
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
MethodSprinkle over the ground spices and season lightly. Toss together then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 12 mins or until potatoes are tender.
- 20g pack rosemary
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested and then halved
- ½ small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1¼kg whole chicken, preferably free-range
- 4 medium carrots
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Very finely chop 2 sprigs of the rosemary and mix with 2 tbsp of the butter and the garlic, lemon zest and chilli. Gently lift the skin away from the breast of the chicken and press the butter underneath on both sides. Rub the remaining butter on the outside of the chicken. Stuff the lemon inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack along with the carrots in a medium roasting tin. Season, then scatter with the remaining rosemary leaves. Roast the chicken for 1 hr 10 mins or until the juices run clear, then remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 mins before carving. Serve it on a board with the carrots and a bowl of the roasting juices.
- 1 small rotisserie chicken
- 100g pearl barley
- 200g green beans, trimmed
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin half-moon slices
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted
- zest 1 lemon
- handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Remove the skin from the chicken and shred the meat off the bones into bite-size pieces. Cook the pearl barley in boiling, salted water until tender, but not too soft, about 20 mins. Drain well, then tip into a large bowl.
- Blanch the green beans in more boiling, salted water for about 5 mins, until just cooked. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Add to the barley along with pepper, onion, almonds, lemon zest and parsley.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients with seasoning. Pour over the salad, toss everything together and serve.
- ¼ small butternut squash, peeled and diced (200g approx)
- 8 small new potatoes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 175g prepared French beans, courgette or broccoli
- 25g pitted green olives in brine, drained
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the butternut squash, potatoes, ground coriander, thyme, stock and garlic into a flameproof casserole. Season and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 mins.
- Tuck in the chicken breasts making sure that they are submerged. Cover and transfer to oven for 15 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Lift out chicken and veg, set aside and keep warm, then boil the stock until reduced by half. Add the beans and olives, simmer until cooked. Season and serve.