Deliciously spicy - warm up with this fab veggie soup.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 225g carrots diced
- 75g red lentils
- 300ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- fresh chopped coriander to garnish
- pinch paprika to garnish
- 600ml vegetable stock
MethodAdd the onion, carrots, lentils, orange juice, stock and seasoning, then bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 mins until the lentils are soft.
- 250g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- zest 2 oranges
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 100g carrots, grated
- 100g courgette, grated
- zest 1 orange, plus 2-3 tbsp juice
- 140g icing sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking parchment. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarb, zest and the mixed spice together, then stir in the carrot and courgette. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted in comes out clean. Cool.
- To make the topping, mix enough of the orange juice into the icing sugar to give a thick, but drizzly icing. Drizzle over the cakes, then scatter with the zest and leave to set.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 140g green lentil
- 1½ l weak vegetable stock
- 200g bag baby spinach
- 4 tbsp double cream, plus a drizzle to serve
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- Put the oil, onions, carrots and celery in a large saucepan, and cook for about 10 mins to soften.
- Stir in the lentils and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 30-35 mins or until the lentils are soft, topping up with water if the mixture begins to dry out. Pop in the spinach and cook for a few mins more, until wilted. Blitz the soup until smooth, then stir through the cream and season. Keep the soup warm over a low heat.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until crisp and golden. Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with a little cream and crumble over the crispy bacon.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 200g carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder containing turmeric
- 100g red lentil
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk
- coriander and naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the squash and carrots, sizzle for 1 min, then stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 min more. Tip in the lentils, the vegetable stock and coconut milk and give everything a good stir. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 15-18 mins until everything is tender.
- Using a hand blender or in a food processor, blitz until as smooth as you like. Season and serve scattered with roughly chopped coriander and some naan bread alongside.