- 2/3 cup whole grain (hull-less) barley*
- 4cups bite-size pieces fresh broccoli (8 ounces)
- 2tablespoons water
- 3tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ripeavocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 -3teaspoons lime juice
- 2tablespoons lightly salted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
MethodTransfer to a large serving bowl; cool to room temperature.
Recipe Tip*Test Kitchen Tip: If you prefer, use farro, quinoa, or brown rice for the barley. Start with the dry amount that yields 1 1/2 cups cooked.
- 100g wholegrain pearl barley
- 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 pack basil
- generous squeeze of lemon juice
- 125g Tenderstem broccoli from a 200g pack
- Pour a litre of cold water over the barley, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the barley, reserve the liquid and use it to make 500ml vegetable bouillon. Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan, add the leek and cook briefly to soften. Tip half into a bowl, then add the barley and bouillon to the pan, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic, basil, remaining oil, the lemon juice and 3 tbsp water to the leeks in the bowl, and blitz to a paste with a stick blender
- When the barley has cooked for 20 mins, add the broccoli to the pan and cook for 5-10 mins more until both are tender. Stir in the basil purée, heat very briefly (to retain the fragrance), then spoon into bowls to serve.
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup 3/4-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2/3 cup chopped red apple (1 medium)
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 44 - 5 - ounce smallskinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1 1/4 pounds total)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2tablespoons roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- Snipped fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, squash, and barley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or just until squash and barley are tender, stirring once or twice. Stir in apple. Cook, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes more or just until apple is tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over chicken. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray.
- Coat an unheated grill pan or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook for 8 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken registers 165 degrees F, turning once. Remove chicken from pan. Slice chicken.
- Add pumpkin seeds to barley mixture; stir until combined. Snip any large pieces of chutney. In a small bowl stir together chutney and yogurt. To serve, divide barley mixture among four serving bowls or plates. Top with chicken and parsley. Serve with chutney mixture.
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 114 - ounce canreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2tablespoons dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), coarsely chopped
- 1teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1tablespoon finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot to saucepan; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully add broth. Bring to boiling. Stir in barley, dried tomatoes, and oregano. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4 (1/2-cup) servings.