- 1 recipe Quick Pickled Onions
- Dash crushed red pepper (optional)
- 6 -8cups fresh blackberries or blueberries
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, large leaves torn
- 2tablespoons turbinado sugar (raw sugar)*
- 2teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 4ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1small or half a large red onion
- 3tablespoonscider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoonmustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
Recipe Tip*Test Kitchen Tip: We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, deseeded and cut into thick strips
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 preserved lemon, pulp removed and rind cut into thin strips (see tip)
- 200g pack feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice ½ lemon
- small bunch each flat-leaf parsley and mint, finely shredded
- crusty bread, to serve
- Put the tomatoes, onion and lemon in a shallow bowl or platter. Crumble the feta over, drizzle with oil and lemon juice, and scatter over the herbs.
- Toss gently just before serving along with chunks of warm, crusty bread.
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 140g asparagus
- 50g pea
- 200g courgette
- 1 tsp sesame or olive oil
- small handful rocket leaves
- 20g feta cheese
- grated zest ½ lemon
- Heat a small frying pan and add the sesame seeds. Cook, shaking the pan and making sure the seeds don’t burn. When they are fragrant and have turned a light teak colour, tip them onto a saucer.
- Steam the asparagus for 3-4 mins until almost done. Drop into a bowl of iced water to cool, then drain and wrap in a tea towel to dry really well. Cook the peas for 3 mins in the boiling water used to steam the asparagus, then drain and cool under a cold tap. Slice the courgettes on the diagonal, about 0.5cm thick.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the asparagus and courgette slices with the oil, and cook in batches until nicely striped with dark brown. Cut the asparagus into 5cm lengths.
- Mix the asparagus, courgettes, peas, rocket, feta and lemon zest. Grind over some black pepper and sprinkle with the sesame seeds before serving.
- 1kg Chantenay or baby carrots
- few lemon thyme sprigs (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 175g green bean, topped and halved
- 400g can butter or cannellini bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 200g pack feta cheese, crumbled
- small bunch mint
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Put the carrots into a large roasting tin, toss with the lemon thyme (if using) and half the oil, then season well. Roast for about 30 mins until golden, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain, cool under cold running water, then drain again. Mix together the green beans, cannellini or butter beans, remaining oil, onion and feta, then season to taste. Toss with the hot carrots, then tear in the mint just before serving.