Sticky, tender beef ribs with a subtle oak-smoked flavour are sure to be a hit at your next barbecue
- 6 meaty beef short ribs (about 3kg/6lb 8oz), see tips
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 450ml hoppy American-style craft lager (try Point Amber, available from ocado.com, or Samuel Adams Boston lager, widely available)
- 700ml good-quality chicken stock
- 140g black treacle
- small bunch thyme
- 50g burnt oak wood chips, tied in a muslin bag (optional, see tip)
- 100g ketchup
- 100g American mustard
- 75g brown sauce
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp toasted cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
MethodMix the spices and 3 tbsp salt in a bowl, then stir in the oil to make a paste. Use a knife to make a deep hole in each short rib, then rub the spice mix all over and into the hole, working the flavour into the meat. Place on a tray, cover and chill overnight.
- 4 pounds bone-in short Ribs, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium Beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups dark beer (such as guinness Draught)
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups Baby Carrots
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Cooked Egg Noodles (optional)
- Blot dry ribs with paper towels. Sprinkle ribs with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meat for 5 minutes, turning once halfway through, in batches if necessary. Remove meat to slow cooker.
- Add onion to skillet and cook, 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth, 1 cup of the beer, the sugar and thyme to skillet. Bring to a boil, then pour over meat. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
- When there is 1 1/2 hours cook time remaining on HIGH or 2 1/2 hours on LOW, stir carrots and mushrooms into slow cooker.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup beer, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and the cornstarch and mustard. Whisk into slow cooker. Replace cover and cook 15 more minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serve over egg noodles, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- 4 pounds Beef short Ribs
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (3 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry Red Wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion (1) (optional)
- 1 recipe Polenta or 2 to 3 cups hot cooked Noodles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Trim fat from ribs. In an extra-large oven-going skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ribs; cook until brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary. Remove ribs from skillet.
- Add onions, celery, and carrot to skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add wine, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add bay leaves, espresso powder, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Stir in broth. Bring to boiling; return ribs to skillet. Cover skillet and transfer to oven. Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender. Transfer ribs to a deep serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- For sauce, strain cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve; discard vegetables. Skim fat from strained liquid. Return liquid to skillet. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in whipping cream. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until melted.
- Pour sauce over ribs. If desired, sprinkle with green onion. Serve over Polenta.
Enjoy BBQ Braised Beef Short Ribs—no grill required! Brown these beef short ribs in a skillet and then bake until they're falling-off-the-bone tender.
- 1-1/2 lb.Beef short Ribs
- 1/4 cupflour
- 1 Tbsp.oil
- 1/4 cupKRAFT Zesty italian dressing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalkcelery, chopped
- 1 cupfat-free reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cupBULL'S-EYE Original Barbecue Sauce
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Toss ribs with flour until evenly coated.Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.Add ribs; cook 3 to 4 min. on each side or until evenly browned.Transfer to 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Heat dressing in same skillet on medium-high heat.Add vegetables; cook 3 to 5 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.Stir in broth and barbecue sauce; bring to boil.Pour over ribs; cover.
- Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until ribs are tender and meat can easily be pulled away from bones.