Keep the kids happy with this sticky barbecue chicken dish
- 4 chicken leg portions, cut into thighs and drumsticks, skin removed
- 2 onions, 1 chopped, 1 cut into wedges
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 250g long grain rice, rinsed
- 600ml chicken stock
- 340g can sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
MethodSlash each piece of chicken 2-3 times. Put the chicken, onion wedges and peppers in a roasting tin or ovenproof pan, then toss with 1 tbsp oil and the barbecue sauce. Roast for 40 mins, turning halfway, until sticky and tender. Add a splash of water if the sauce dries up a little at the edges.
- about 4 skin-on chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks- buy a mixed pack
- 6 tbsp piri-piri marinade (you can buy mild, medium or hot)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 peppers, any colour, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 250g cooked rice
- vegetables or salad, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Slash each piece of chicken 3 times, so the marinade can really flavour the meat. Pour over the sauce and leave in the fridge to marinate, if you have time. If not, mix well and arrange, skin-side up, in a roasting tin. Cook for 30 mins, then increase heat to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and cook for about 15 mins more until the skin is crispy and golden.
- When the chicken is almost ready, heat the oil in a frying pan. Cook the peppers and white parts of the spring onions for 5 mins. Tip in the purée and paprika, stir, then add the rice, breaking up with a wooden spoon so all the grains are coated well. Use a high heat and scrape any that sticks off the bottom so you get some soft and some crispy parts. Heat until piping hot. Scatter the green parts of the spring onion on top and serve with the chicken, and some vegetables or salad, if you like.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 140g/5oz each)
- 1 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- small knob of fresh root ginger, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 175g basmati rice
- 250g pack prepared veg, broccoli, carrotts and green beans
- 425ml vegetable stock
- Cut the chicken into chunks and mix with the soy, then set aside. Heat the oil in a pan with a well-fitting lid, then add the ginger and onions and fry briefly. Stir in the rice. Add the veg, pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 5 mins, then put the chicken on top of the rice and pour over the soy.
- Re-cover the pan and cook for a further 12-14 mins until everything is tender.
- 28 - ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 2tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon seeded (if desired) and finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper
- 2teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning, such as McCormick brand
- 3 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipeCaribbean Rice
- Lime wedges
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cupchopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cupchopped green sweet pepper
- 1tablespoonseeded (if desired) and finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper*
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 1/4 teaspoongarlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoonblack pepper
- 1/8 teaspoonground cinnamon
- 18.8- ounce pouchcooked whole grain brown rice
- 1/2 cupcanned no-salt-added red kidney beans
- 1/4 cuporange juice
- 1/4 cupsnipped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine the next 10 ingredients (through salt). Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator 6 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium 15 to 18 minutes or until done (165 degrees F), turning once. Remove from grill and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small saucepan bring the reserved marinade to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Slice chicken. Serve over Caribbean Rice with lime wedges and drizzle with glaze.
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add the first seven ingredients (through cinnamon). Cook about 5 minutes or until pineapple is just tender and spices are fragrant. Add rice, beans, and orange juice. Heat through. Stir in cilantro.