This low-calorie vegetarian breakfast with sundried tomatoes, spinach, leeks and cheese is the perfect way to start a weekend
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 x 100g bags baby spinach leaves
- handful fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 25g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
- 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 medium eggs
MethodHeat the oil in a pan and add the leeks, onions and seasoning. Cook for 15-20 mins until soft and beginning to caramelise.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the spinach into a colander, then pour over a kettle of boiling water to wilt the leaves. Squeeze out excess water and divide between 4 small ovenproof dishes.
- Mix the tomatoes with the chilli flakes and some seasoning, then add to the dishes with the spinach. Make a small well in the centre of each and crack in an egg. Bake for 12-15 mins or more depending on how you like your eggs. Serve with crusty bread, if you like.
- 900g ripe vine tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large free range eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley and/or chives
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C/ conventional 200C/gas 6. Cut the tomatoes into quarters or thick wedges, depending on their size, then spread them over a fairly shallow 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Peel the garlic, slice thinly and sprinkle over the tomatoes. Drizzle with the olive oil, season well with salt and pepper and stir everything together until the tomatoes are glistening.
- Slide the dish into the oven and bake for 40 minutes until the tomatoes have softened and are tinged with brown.
- Make four gaps among the tomatoes, break an egg into each gap and cover the dish with a sheet of foil. Return it to the oven for 5-10 minutes until the eggs are set to your liking. Scatter over the herbs and serve piping hot with thick slices of toast or warm ciabatta and a green salad on the side.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 100g ready-roasted pepper from a jar, drained and sliced
- 180g pack ham, torn, or shredded ham hock
- 50g baby spinach
- 2 medium eggs
- pinch cayenne pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the oil in a small ovenproof sauté pan. Add the onion and cook for 6 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and chilli, and cook for a couple mins more. Add the tomatoes and 100ml water. Season well and stir through the peppers and ham. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 mins until the sauce has started to thicken. Add the spinach, stirring through to wilt.
- Make 2 hollows in the sauce and crack your eggs into them. Add a pinch of cayenne, transfer to the oven and bake for 10 mins until the whites of the eggs have set. Serve straight away with crusty bread.