A modern, lighter version of the retro starter, prawn cocktail
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 segmented orange, plus the juice from the trimmings
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and finely sliced
- 1 avocado, quartered, peeled and sliced
- 200g cooked king prawn
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 55g bag wild rocket
- In a jam jar, mix gin with cordial. When ready to serve, divide the mixture between 8 glasses, top up with apple juice, apple slices and ice.
- 2 aubergines, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 6 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle for the prawns
- 140g raw prawn, deveined
- 140g cooking chorizo, cut into 1½ cm-2cm thick slices
- 400g can chickpea, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 100g baby spinach
- large handful parsley, chopped
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 small preserved lemons, flesh removed and rind thinly sliced
- Heat a griddle pan to medium. Brush the aubergine slices with oil, season and griddle on both sides until soft and lightly charred – you’ll need to do this in batches. Set aside and keep warm. (See below left for griddling tips.)
- While the aubergines are cooking, make the dressing. Mix the garlic with a good pinch of salt to form a paste. Gradually stir in the olive oil and lemon juice, followed by the zest, cumin, honey, preserved lemons and seasoning.
- Wipe out the griddle pan and toss the prawns with a little oil and seasoning. Griddle for 1-2 mins each side until cooked through, then transfer to a plate. Add the chorizo slices to the pan and cook for 3-4 mins each side, or until they start to release their oil and become crispy.
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, spinach and most of the parsley. Add the aubergines, prawns and chorizo, pour over the dressing and gently toss everything together. Pile onto a serving platter and scatter over the remaining parsley. Serve straight away.
- 300g raw peeled king prawn
- 1½ tbsp Jamaican jerk paste
- 400g can black bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 large mango, stoned, peeled and diced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 8 taco shells
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
- 165ml can coconut milk
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 2 pinches of sugar
- Stir the prawns and jerk paste together in a bowl and set aside. Mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Tip the beans into a bowl along with the mango, onion, cucumber, most of the coriander, the dressing and some seasoning. Warm the taco shells following pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the prawns and cook for 2-3 mins or until cooked through.
- To build the tacos, start with a handful of lettuce, followed by the bean salad, then top with the prawns. Sprinkle over the remaining coriander and serve.