Using dark caramel in savoury dishes is common in Asian cooking- it adds depth of flavour and contrasts well with sour and spicy notes
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp gluten-free fish sauce
- 1 green chilli, halved (optional)
- small piece cinnamon bark
- small piece ginger, finely chopped
- juice 1 large lime, plus extra for squeezing over
- 1kg chicken wing, tips removed and cut in half
- small bunch spring onion, cut into 1cm lengths
- large piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 green chilli (seeds removed if you don't like it too hot), cut into rings
- handful coriander sprigs
- boiled white rice, to serve
MethodPlace on a low heat and bring to the boil, then cook until you have a dark amber caramel (see tip, below).
- 3 pounds Chicken Wings (about 16)
- 1 cup bottled Plum Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Thin orange wedges and pineapple slices (optional)
- If desired, use a sharp knife to carefully cut off tips of the wings; discard wing tips. In a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch shallow baking pan arrange wing pieces in a single layer. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- For sauce, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine plum sauce, melted butter, and five-spice powder. Add wing pieces, stirring to coat with sauce.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Serve immediately or keep covered on low-heat setting for up to 2 hours. If desired, garnish with orange wedges and pineapple slices. Makes about 32 pieces.
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic paste or 1 tablespoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel or 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
- 8 whole chicken legs (drumstick and thigh), skin removed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 recipe sesame-Cilantro Pesto
- For brine, in a large stock pot (big enough to hold the chicken) bring 2 cups water to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce, honey, curry powder, ginger, coriander, chili-garlic paste, and orange peel. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups ice-cold water.
- Submerge chicken in the brine. If necessary, weigh down the chicken by placing a small plate on top. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 8 to 24 hours. Remove chicken from brine; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.
- Coat unheated grill rack with cooking spray. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place the chicken on the grill rack over the drip pan, overlapping pieces as necessary. Cover and grill 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the leg registers 180 degrees F, turning and rearranging pieces once halfway through grilling time. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place chicken on oiled grill rack over the burner that is turned off, overlapping pieces as necessary. Grill as above.)
- Serve chicken with the Sesame-Cilantro Pesto.
- 3 pounds Chicken Wings (about 16)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Red Curry paste
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Fresh Basil (optional)
- Preheat broiler. If desired, use a sharp knife to carefully cut off tips of the wings; discard tips. Cut each wing at joint to make 2 pieces. Place wing pieces in a single layer on the unheated rack of a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is brown, turning once. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine coconut milk, fish sauce, and curry paste. Add wing pieces and onion, stirring to coat with curry mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from cooker; cover with foil to keep warm. Skim fat from curry mixture.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan combine cornstarch and water; stir in curry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in basil, if desired. Serve chicken wings with sauce.